Getting to campus
How to get to and between our campuses on foot, by bike, car or on public transport.
It’s a 10–15-minute walk from the city centre to Kelburn campus. Download the pedestrian shortcuts to make your journey shorter.
Shortcuts to the Kelburn campus
Download these maps to see the pedestrian shortcuts from downtown Wellington to the Kelburn campus.
- Pedestrian shortcuts to Victoria University (front view)
- Pedestrian shortcuts to Victoria University (back view)
There are cycle racks and showers at all campuses.
Bicycle parking stands on the Kelburn campus are situated in the following locations:
- Adam Art Gallery—south
- Alan MacDiarmid—basement
- Laby—under south end
- Murphy Building—west
- Rec Centre—west
- 83 Fairlie Terrace—west.
If you are a postgraduate student and would like to access the secure cage in the basement of the Alan MacDiarmid Building, contact Campus Security.
Bicycle stands on the Pipitea campus are situated in the following locations:
- Government Building—east
- Rutherford House—west and basement.
For the safety of building occupants in an emergency and to prevent damage to paintwork and flooring, bicycles must not be kept in offices, corridors and access ways.
Parking spaces are difficult to find in the Kelburn area, so it’s best to walk, cycle, use a motorbike or public transport.
The cable car runs from the city up to Kelburn every 10 minutes, and stops near the Kelburn campus.
Bus or train
Buses and trains in Wellington are operated by Metlink. For timetables and fares, visit the Metlink website or phone 0800 801 700.
All eligible fulltime tertiary students will receive a 25 percent discount off the peak adult Snapper or single 10-Trip Ticket fare on Metlink bus, rail and ferry services at all times.
The Pipitea campus is located by the Wellington Railway Station—also home to the central bus terminus.
All campuses are close to bus stops. You can find timetables on the Kelburn campus at:
- Level 2, Student Union Building
- Ground floor, Easterfield Building
You can pay bus fares in cash, but if you use the bus regularly it is cheaper to buy a Snapper card and load this up with credit. You can buy and top up Snapper cards on or near University campuses at:
- VUWSA reception, Level 4, Student Union Building, Kelburn campus
- Freemans Lotto, Rutherford House, Pipitea campus
- convenience stores and other retailers around Wellington—look for the Snapper logo.
You can quickly check your balance and top up your Snapper card at Snapper kiosks located on campus and around Wellington. You can find Snapper kiosks on the three main campuses:
- Ground floor, Easterfield Building, Kelburn campus
- Ground floor, Rutherford House, Pipitea campus
- Te Aro campus, 139 Vivian Street
There are four separate bus routes that stop at the Kelburn campus and can take you to most points in the city and to other University campuses around Wellington. Timetables below take you to the Metlink website, which includes a journey planner.
- No 18e—Miramar to Karori via Kilbirnie, Newtown and the Kelburn, Te Aro and Miramar campuses
- No 21—Courtenay Place to Karori via the Kelburn and Te Aro campuses
- No 22—Johnsonville to Pipitea campus (Wellington Railway Station central bus terminus) via Khandallah, Ngaio, Wilton, Mairangi, Northland and the Kelburn campus
- No 37—Lambton Quay to Karori via the Kelburn campus
Route 37 stops close to Pipitea campus at the nearby Lambton Quay/Bowen St intersection.
Routes 18e and 21 stop on Ghuznee Street, close to Te Aro campus on Vivian Street.
If you’re travelling between campuses on the same day, find out how to apply for a free bus pass.