Course planning and advice

Find answers to commonly asked questions about course planning and advice at Victoria Business School.

The Student and Academic Services Office can help you plan your studies, give advice on courses and make changes along the way.

  • Adding or withdrawing from courses
  • Degree planning and advice
  • Restriction under the Academic Progress Statute

Adding/withdrawing courses

How do I add or withdraw from a course?

You may be able to add or drop courses via the University's website. Otherwise, fill in a Course Add/Drop form from Student and Academic Services on the ground floor of Rutherford House (Pipitea), or in Murphy 209 (Kelburn).

If you are adding a course after the start of the trimester in which the course is offered, then you will need to get the course coordinator to sign you in; otherwise, no signature is needed. Just take the form to the Student Academic Services Office, or email with your full name, student ID number, the course and CRN of the course you want to add or drop.

If adding a course you need to ensure you have met the prerequisite requirements shown on Course Finder.

How long have I got to add a course?

Courses may not be added after the end of the second week of a trimester (unless in exceptional circumstances). However, that does not mean that you are free to add courses at any time during the first two weeks.

Once classes have started, you need the permission of the course coordinator and the Associate Dean. As a general rule, you should add courses by the end of the first week.

How long have I got to withdraw from a course?

Courses may be dropped with a full fees refund at any time during the first two weeks of a regular trimester (special dates apply in the summer trimester). After that, you can withdraw from a course taught over 12 weeks without having the course recorded as a fail (but without fees refund) until the end of the ninth week of classes. If you are withdrawing by means of a Course Add/Drop form, no signatures are needed.

Once the ninth week is over, withdrawals are possible only with the permission of the Associate Dean (Students) and if certain conditions are met. You can download a Late Withdrawal Form or pick one up from Student and Academic Services and return it there when you have filled it in.

What do I do if I have been waitlisted?

Wait! When the School is ready to admit waitlisted students, an email will be sent to students confirming you are now in the course. If you have enrolled in an alternative course or no longer wish to be in the waitlisted course, reply to the email by 5pm on the second week of trimester to confirm your withdrawal.

May I sit in on courses without being enrolled until I make my mind up?

Students who are not registered for a course are not entitled to attend lectures. However, if space permits, then the lecturer may allow you to be present during the first two weeks until you decide whether to add the course.

AC ("accepted") status does not mean that you are registered; this shows that you were offered a place but have not yet returned your Offer of Study. Until you do so, you are not registered).

Degree planning and advice

How do I plan a degree?

New students can get course advice from Student Recruitment Course Advice, or current students from one of the Victoria Business School student advisers within the Student Academic Services Office.

How do I tell how many more points I need for my degree?

This is called a degree audit. To audit your degree yourself, download the use myDegree, or ask your Student Adviser to discuss the requirements of the degree. The Student Advisers audit all final year students do automatically mid-way through the year for all final year students, and then again at the end of the year of completion.

How do I change my degree or major?

You need to get a Course Add/Drop form from Student and Academic Services office or email to request the change. You may wish to discuss your options first with a Student Adviser.

How do I apply for credit transfer?

To apply for recognition of study at other tertiary institutions towards your Victoria University qualification, download and complete the Application for Transfer of Credit form and bring it to Student and Academic Services with proof of your studies. You will need to provide:

  • An original or certified copy of your academic transcript, and
  • original or certified copy of your Certificate of Completion (for completed qualification only).

How do I apply for a waiver from course prerequisite / degree regulation?

If you are applying for waiver from a prerequisite or corequisite, download and complete an Application for Waiver form, and take this to the relevant course coordinator for approval. Then send or deliver the form to Student and Academic Services for processing.

If you are applying for a exemption from a specific course requirement, or permission to substitute an approved course, you can simply take the completed form to Student and Academic Services Office.

Restriction under the Academic Progress Statute

The Academic Progress Statute allows the University to manage the enrolment of students who are not making satisfactory academic progress by restricting the number of courses that students may enrol in, and/or requiring students to meet certain conditions.

For further information and links to the Academic Progress Statute, please see the University's Academic Progress page.