Community and Voluntary Sector Research Forums
A number of academics at Victoria University research in, and for, the community and voluntary sector, as well as many of our postgraduate students.
As well as networking within the University, this research is shared with the community through occasional Community and Voluntary Sector Research (CVSR) Forums. These presentations provide a networking opportunity to share and report on current research, and are supported by Hui E! Community Aotearoa. General public are most welcome to attend.
Previous research forums
- Dave Henderson (External Relations Manager, Hui E! Community Aotearoa) & Jo Cribb (Wellington-based consultant): How can academics and the third sector professionals work better together?
- Dr Phyllis Anscombe (Senior Advisor, Ministry of Justice): Policy advocacy in Government-funded charities
- Louise Parkin (General Manager, Nikau Foundation): Putting the bones in the meat: The benefits of pursuing a postgraduate degree in philanthropy and not-profit studies
- Brent Kennerley (Grant Thornton New Zealand): The challenge of change
- Ruth Weatherall (Victoria Business School): The nonprofit sector and positive social change
- A/Prof Christopher D.B. Burt (University of Canterbury): Donor control: Methods of managing donor trust.
- Alex Hannant (Chief Executive at the Ākina Foundation): pdf415KBSocial enterprise in Aotearoa - where are we now and where are we going?
- Sendirella George (PhD researcher & lecturer at Victoria Business School): pdf840KBDemocratising accounting and accountability: Exploring social movement counteraccounting practices and engagement strategies
- Garth Nowland-Foreman (LEAD Centre for Not for Profit Leadership): pdf675KBOutcomes, accountability and NGOs: Holy grail, black hole or wholly possible?; see also pdflink to full paper.
- Michelle Wanwimolruk (Independent Consultant): pdf770KBThe pitfalls of focusing on 'Child Poverty' and 'Vulnerable Families'. Is Collective Impact the answer?
- Patricia Webster (Chair of the Community Work Training and Support Trust, Nelson): pdf560KBMarketisation of charities.
- Madeline Sakofsky (Research Advisor at Volunteering New Zealand): pdf745KBVolunteering New Zealand: State of the sector 2015
- Lisa Marriott (Associate Professor of Taxation, School of Accounting and Commercial Law): pdf60KBCrime pays! Examining white-collar crime in New Zealand
- Annie Weir (Director of Impact Research NZ): pdf155KBPhilanthropic trusts investing in building evaluation capacity with NGOs: Collaborating to make a difference
- Gradon Diprose (Lecturer in the School of Social Sciences, Open Polytechnic): pdf225KBThe political potential of timebanking
- Dave Heatley (Acting Inquiry Director, New Zealand Productivity Commission): pdf265KBHow can we make social services work well for everyone?
- Manjula Shivanandan (State Services Commission): pdf125KBOpen Government and the community and voluntary sector
- Dr Robert Miller (University of Otago): pdf260KBA volunteer research register, as essential infrastructure for research on schizophrenia and related disorders
- Ruth Weatherall & A/Prof Deborah Jones (Victoria Business School): pdf80KBEthics of NGOs
- Adrian Shields (Policy and Research Manager in Charities Services): pdf170KBPublic trust and confidence in charities: Variations over time
- Paul Stone (Open Government Data Programme Leader): pdfOpen Government data: Supporting democratic participation in the community sector
- VUW Summer Scholars Harry Berger: pdf2MBThe third sector in 2045: A supporting literature review & Ciahn Dalgliesh-Waugh: "A study of community-led resilience planning"
- Dr Sandra Grey (School of Social and Cultural Studies, Victoria University) & Dr Charles Sedgwick (teaching associate, Victoria University): "Findings from research into advocacy in NGOs"
- Sue Elliott (Unitec): "What silences NGOs in the refugee sector?"
- Emily Garden (Auckland City Mission): pdf570KBBeing poor is hard work: The Family 100 Project as an advocacy too
- Di Jennings (Project Manager, CEDNZ Research): pdf270KBFindings from comprehensive research into the state of community economic development and social enterprise in New Zealand
- Cliff Colquhoun (CEO, CBEC): pdf277KBWorking in our community for jobs and our environment
- Bernard Teahan (former CE, Trust House) & Richard Norman (School of Management): "Community housing growth: Pipedream or reality?"
- Cherida Fraser (completing an MSc in cross-cultural psychology): pdf540KBThe AppleCART Project: Action research aiming to improve health and wellbeing of a ‘hard-to-reach’ Māori community
- Frances Kelliher (Circability Trust): pdf6.2MBDeveloping community circus in Aotearoa New Zealand: Evaluation techniques and conclusions
- Nishanie Pereira (completing a PhD at the School of Information Management): pdf330KBExploring ICT use in non-profit organisations that provide services for older people who live within the community
- Joany Grima (Project Manager for the biennial Commonwealth People’s Forum ): pdf160KBVolunteer impact and management at New Zealand sporting events
- Rodney Dormer (Victoria Business School): pdf315KBWhanau ora and the collaborative turn
- Farzana Tanima (Victoria Business School): pdf270KBMicrofinance and women’s empowerment in Bangladesh: A study of competing logics and their implications for accounting and accountability systems
- Philip Walker (Statistics New Zealand): pdf160KBSocial well-being in New Zealand – Insights from the General Social Survey 2012
- Val Goold (Head of Student Ministries, Tertiary Students Christian Fellowship): pdf140KBWhat’s in my kete? Women in leadership
- Rachel Baskerville & Carolyn Cordery (Victoria University): pdf450KBVoices from the clubroom
- Kate Daellenbach (Victoria University): Perspectives on leadership in corporate - community partnerships
- Martin Woodbridge: Developing tools to promote health: Collaborations of science and art
- Peter Walker & Jenny Aimers (University of Otago / Otago Polytechnic): Community development models - theory and practice in New Zealand
- Mary Jo Kaplan: Growing the pipeline of youth social entrepreneurs and social enterprise in Aotearoa/New Zealand: A holistic framework
- Dr Alice Mills: Relationships between the voluntary sector and the state in criminal justice in the UK and New Zealand
- Nicola Sutton: Exploring partnerships between Not-for-Profit organisations in New Zealand
- Nataly Noguer Blue: Measuring the impact of the voluntary sector
- Natascha Pancic & Sarah Greenaway: Piloting evaluation of outcomes measurement in the mental health sector
- Sandra Grey & Charles Sedgwick: pdfVoices of the community: The community and voluntary sector’s role in New Zealand democracy
This was a forum looking at "What is (community) research?" Panellists discussing the topic included:
- James King (Enspiral)
- Dr Hilary Stace (Health Services Research Centre at Victoria University)
- Jan Hinde (Community Research)
- Angela Toomey (Department of Internal Affairs)
- Heather Came: Noticing institutional racism within the Public Sector
- Bill Ryan: pdfBetter public services: A window of opportunity -- for the community sector too..?
- Marion Blake: Better public services: A community sector perspective
- Sarah Proctor-Thomson & Karen Smith: Managers of volunteers: Role and identity
- Jayendra Chhana: Connection and trust: The potential for volunteering within Local Government to develop community social capital
- Dr Louise Lee: Employer-supported volunteering: Understanding the role of the broker in cross-sector collaboration
For further information on these Forums and our ongoing research, contact