Brief history of Victoria Business School

A timeline of Victoria Business School’s history.

1897

  • Victoria College was established in the year of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Victoria was named in her honour.

1909

  • F.P. Wilson was appointed as the first lecturer in Economics, History and Geography.
    The Bachelor of Commerce was introduced.

1912

  • Funding received from the T.G. McCarthy Trust to establish the McCarthy School of Economics.
    J.S. Barton appointed as first lecturer in Accounting.

1920

  • Bernard E. Murphy appointed the first Chair in Economics, a position he held for 30 years.

1939

  • Faculty of Commerce established.

1961

  • Roy Sidebotham appointed the first Professor of Accounting.

1962

  • Victoria College became Victoria University of Wellington.
    Graham Fogelberg appointed the first Professor of Business Administration.
    A two-year Diploma of Business Administration was introduced.

1964

  • Faculty name changed to Faculty of Commerce and Administration.

1966

  • The Bachelor of Commerce and Administration (BCA) replaced the Bachelor of Commerce.

1984

  • The Master of Business Administration (MBA) was introduced.

1987

  • The Faculty moved from multiple sites around the Kelburn Campus into the newly built Murphy Building.
    Faculty departmental structure replaced by Interest Groups, with an Executive Dean, Professor Athol Mann.

1990

  • Graduate School of Business & Government Management (GSBGM) established, Deputy Vice-Chancellor Graham Fogelberg as Director.

1997

  • Tourism and Services Management Interest Group established, together with Bachelor of Tourism and Services Management (BTSM) programme. 1998 Interest Groups replaced by a School structure: School of Accounting and Commercial Law (SACL), School of Business and Public Management (SBPM), School of Economics and Finance (SEF), School of Communications and Information Management (SCIM).

1999

  • GSBGM, SBPM, and SCIM in existence.

2000

  • The Faculty relocated from the Murphy Building (Kelburn Campus) to Rutherford House at Pipitea Campus.

2001

  • Bachelor of Tourism Management, BTM(Hons) and MTM degrees introduced, replacing earlier Tourism and Services Management degrees.
    SCIM changes name to School of Information Management (SIM).

2002

  • GSBGM disbanded at end of year.
    SBPM restructured to become Victoria Management School (VMS), School of Marketing and International Business (SMIB), and School of Government (SoG).

The path to accreditation

2006:

  • Tourism programmes accredited by TedQual.

2008:

  • MBA and International MBA programmes accredited by Association of MBAs.

2009:

  • Tourism programmes re-accredited by TedQual.

2010:

  • Faculty business and accounting programmes accredited by AACSB.

2011:

  • Faculty programmes accredited by EQUIS.

Present

2012

  • The School of Government rejoined the Faculty.
    Victoria approval of name changes:
    • Victoria Business School (Faculty of Commerce) replaced Faculty of Commerce and Administration.
    • Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) replaced Bachelor of Commerce and Administration.

2013

  • VBS Tourism programmes reaccredited by TedQual.
    MBA programme re-accredited by Association of MBAs.

2014

  • VBS programmes re-accredited by EQUIS.

2016

  • VBS programmes re-accredited by AACSB

2017

  • VBS Tourism programmes re-accredited by TEdQual
  • School of Government Master of Public Policy and Master of Public Management programmes accredited through the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration (NASPAA)

Details about Schools taken from VUW Calendars. A first time appearance in the Calendar signals that the decision was taken the previous year, and that the School might have come into existence in that year. The year of first appearance in the Calendar is shown.