Edna Waddell Undergraduate Scholarships for Women in Technology and Engineering
Tenure of award:
Closing dates for applications:
01 September 2018
01 September 2019
Number of awards offered:
Up to four
History or background of award
The Edna Waddell scholarships provide funds for women entering their first year of an undergraduate degree in professional engineering or technology.
Purpose of award
The Edna Waddell scholarships are for women entering their first year of full time study for undergraduate degrees in professional engineering or technology - open to school leavers and mature women. Each scholarship is for one year, the initial year of study.
• Applicants will be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents with at least three years proven residence in New Zealand.
• Applicants for the Edna Waddell scholarships will be gaining the entry qualifications for their chosen degree.
• Applicants need to show enthusiasm and knowledge of technology and engineering, particularly in their chosen field.
• Applicants will have leadership and creative skills.
• Applicants will ensure their degree programme meets eligibility requirements: See the appendix in the scholarship Regulations.
How do students apply?
Candidates should complete an application using the Universities NZ online scholarships application website:
Universities NZ online scholarship application website
The Scholarships are tenable with other awards, but account will be taken of the aggregate circumstances of the individual and the Trustees’ wish to use available funds to best advantage.
A Scholarship Selection Committee comprising:
• three representatives of the technology & engineering faculties at NZ universities
• a member of Engineering NZ (www.engineeringnz.org)
• a member selected from the industry.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Universities New Zealand will notify applicants in November of the outcome of their application.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Successful scholars shall:
• enrol in and study for the agreed course at a university in New Zealand in the year for which the Scholarship is awarded
• use the Scholarship in any way which helps the Scholar to meet the purposes of the award
• supply an academic transcript and a short report on their academic progress at the end of each semester in the year the scholarship is held
• in the opinion of the Board make positive and satisfactory progress at the institution at which they are studying; unsatisfactory progress may lead to termination of the Scholarship and to a request from the Board for return of the emolument
• undertake to return any Scholarship money paid in the event that the chosen course of study is not immediately undertaken once the scholarship is awarded or other conditions of tenure are not met.
Who else has information about this award?
University scholarships offices.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
Organisation: Universities New Zealand – Te Pōkai Tara
Address: PO Box 11915
Phone: +64 4 381 8510