Weir House Alumni Scholarship
The Scholarship will have a total value of $5000 towards the annual cost of a double room at Weir House.
Tenure of award:
* The Scholarship is tenable for one year only.
* Although Scholarship recipients may hold this and other awards simultaneously, the Scholarship may not be held together with any other Accommodation Scholarship.
Closing dates for applications:
01 November 2018
01 November 2019
Applications close 1 November.
Number of awards offered:
History or background of award
This scholarship has been established by a graduate of Victoria University who was a former resident of Weir House. It is to assist a student entering their first year of study at Victoria University with their accommodation costs at Weir House, who might otherwise not be able to consider coming to Victoria University for financial reasons.
Purpose of award
Weir House Alumni Scholarship is open to first year New Zealand students attending Victoria University. This scholarship is to assist their first year of study at Victoria University with their accommodation cost at Weir House, who might otherwise not be able to consider coming to Victoria University for financial reasons.
* One scholarship will be awarded annually to a first year student who has been accepted into Weir House.
* Applicants must be full time, Year 13 New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, who are eligible for a student allowance.
* Strong preference will be given to applicants who live outside the Wellington region (beyond a line from Otaki to Upper Hutt and south).
* Consideration will be given to academic merit as verified by the applicants school.
* Applicants will pay the Registration and Activities Fee, a Residents Association Fee and a deposit. The deposit is refunded at the end of the year, less any loss or damage for which the resident is responsible and each persons share of any non-attributable loss or damage throughout the year.
How do students apply?
The successful candidate will be chosen on the basis of their academic transcript and the information supplied on their 'Application Form.'
The selection shall consist of the Head of Hall, Weir House, the Manager of the Accommodation Service and a member of the Scholarships Committee. The successful applicant will be chosen on the basis of their academic transcript and the information supplied on the 'Application Form.'
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application by the end of January.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
* Accommodation will be in a double room for the year and no upgrade of room is permitted.
* The Victoria University Foundation expects recipients to write a letter of thanks to the donor on receipt of the award and an end of year progress report.
Who else has information about this award?
VUW Student Recruitment and Course Advice team. Information is also included in the Accommodation guide.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
Position: The Scholarships Office
Organisation: Victoria University of Wellington
Address: PO Box 600 Wellington 6140 New Zealand
Phone: +64 4 463 5557