Victoria Law School Leaver Scholarship
$5,000 split across 2 years. See additional information for payment details
Tenure of award:
Recipients are eligible to hold the Scholarship for two years.
Closing dates for applications:
10 December 2018
10 December 2019
Number of awards offered:
Up to ten scholarships. See additional information for more detail.
History or background of award
Victoria Law School Leaver Scholarships provide financial support to New Zealand’s brightest young students, who would not otherwise have the opportunity to attend university. This scholarship programme has been established to ensure Victoria’s Faculty of Law continues to attract the very best students who represent the diversity of New Zealand society.
Purpose of award
This Victoria Law School Leaver Scholarship is offered, via the Victoria University Foundation, to first year undergraduate students of Law at Victoria University of Wellington.
Preference will be given to applicants demonstrating financial hardship.
Applicants are expected to have their NCEA Level 2 Certificate endorsed with Merit, or equivalent in another qualification. The equivalent for Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) is a score of 170 across no more than four subjects on the UCAS tariff. The equivalent for International Baccalaureate (IB) is a predicted grade of 31 (which will need to be confirmed in January once IB results are available). Some conditions apply—see regulation 10. Credits must be gained in Year 12; credits gained in Year 13 cannot be included (except for IB students).
All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient gaining NCEA Level 3 with at least 25 credits at Merit or Excellence (or equivalent in another qualification), University Entrance and admission to their degree programme. (NOTE: equivalent for CIE is 240 points on UCAS tariff, from Year 13, or 3 C grades at A level).
Applicants must be considering full time enrolment at Victoria University in first year Law (LAWS121, 122,123, and 50 non-Law points) and, subject to acceptance, second year Law in 2020 (a minimum enrolment of two 200 level LAWS courses).
Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
How do students apply?
• Complete the online application available from the link below.
• Attach a copy of your CV.
• A reference from your School Principal or nominee.
• Attach a one-page personal statement, explaining your reason for wishing to attend Victoria University of Wellington Faculty of Law, the academic goals you hope to achieve and why you believe you merit the scholarship. You should also include any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community. Please provide an outline of your personal circumstances, including details of financial difficulties. More infomation may be requested if necessary.
Number of awards offered:
Up to ten scholarships available
If there are no suitable candidate(s) in any one year the Scholarship will not be awarded and the funds will either be used to support one or more candidates in a subsequent year.
Total value: $5,000 – awarded as a reduction in accommodation costs in the first year and tuition fees in the second year.
Note: $2,500 will be awarded in the first year towards accommodation costs, with the remaining $2,500 awarded upon acceptance and enrolment in second year Law (a minimum enrolment of 2 x 200 level LAW courses).
Successful candidates will be chosen by a Victoria University Faculty of Law selection panel.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
Successful applicants will be advised by the end of January.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
• The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with another award, with the exception of the Victoria Kahotea Scholarship.
• The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
• Should the recipient withdraw during the year partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
• At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
Position: The Scholarships Office
Organisation: Victoria University of Wellington
Address: PO Box 600 Wellington 6140 New Zealand
Phone: +64 4 463 5557