Norman Kirk Memorial Trust Pasifika Scholarship
$6,000 ($2,000 per year per student up to three years).
Tenure of award:
* Up to three years.
* Recipients must maintain a C+ GPA to retain the scholarship for the second and third years.
Closing dates for applications:
Number of awards offered:
One per year.
History or background of award
Established in 1976, the Norman Kirk Memorial Trust commemorates the Right Honourable Norman Kirk, Prime Minister of New Zealand from 1972 to 1974. An inspirational and compassionate leader, Norman Kirk worked hard to improve life for under-privileged people and to build connections between New Zealand and other small nations in Africa, Asia and the Pacific.After his early death, donations from citizens and governments were put into a fund which is now administered and invested by the Trust. From the income earned, scholarships are provided to South Pacific and New Zealand students, particularly those who are:
Committed to 'second chance' education or training and are
Working towards a qualification which will equip them to make a greater contribution in the community.
Purpose of award
After his early death, donations from citizens and governments were put into a fund which is now administered and invested by the Trust. From the income earned, scholarships are provided to South Pacific and New Zealand students, particularly those who are:
* Committed to 'second chance' education or training, and,
* Are working towards a qualification which will equip them to make a greater contribution in the community.
* This scholarship is offered, via the Victoria University Foundation, to a New Zealand-based Pasifika student who meets the Trust's criteria and who is enrolled full-time for the first year of a degree course at Victoria University and is facing financial hardship.
* Preference may be given to a mature student. * The scholarship will be a contribution to course fees.
* Applicants must be New Zealand-based Pasifika students who meet the Trust's criteria outlined above, are enrolled for their first year of fulltime study for a degree course at Victoria, and are facing financial hardship.
How do students apply?
In consultation with nominees from the office of the AVC (Pasifika), Financial Support & Advice, the Scholarships Office will submit a short list of up to five candidates to the Trust.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Recipients are required to write a letter of thanks to the donors and to submit an end-of-year progress report.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
Position: The Scholarships Office
Organisation: Victoria University of Wellington
Address: PO Box 600 Wellington 6140 New Zealand
Phone: +64 4 463 5557