Graduate Women Wellington - First in Family Scholarship
$5,000 per annum stipend plus tuition fees up to $5,000 per annum.
Tenure of award:
The Scholarship may be retained for three years providing an average B (approximately a 5 grade point average) grade is maintained. This is also dependant on funding available.
Closing dates for applications:
15 November 2018
15 November 2019
Usually closes on 15 November.
Number of awards offered:
Each year one or more awards may be made.
History or background of award
Graduate Women Wellington (GWW) recognises the need to encourage the next generation of women to fulfil their potential and get amongst the best. They see this goal being fulfilled by assisting a female student who is 'first in the family' to attend university. They appreciate the value of providing a supportive environment where a student is mentored and equipped with life and work experience whilst studying.
Purpose of award
This Scholarship will be open to female students who are the 'first in family' to attend University. First in family is classed as the first person from the student's known family history (excluding step family members) to attend University study.
This Scholarship will be open to female students who:
* are the 'first in family' to attend University. First in family is classed as the first person from the student’s known family history (excluding step family members) to attend University study; and
* have University Entrance or equivalent and intend enrolling in full-time study at Victoria University the year following application; and
* are under the age of 25 years on 1 December in the year of application; and
* are New Zealand citizens or have New Zealand permanent resident status; and
* are currently enrolled at a Secondary School and reside in the Greater Wellington Region.
Preference will be given to students who, because of financial hardship, may not otherwise be able to undertake a University degree.
How do students apply?
An online application will be available here approximately one month prior to the closing date.
Application details will include;
* A completed application form, including a personal statement outlining the applicant's character, leadership qualities, and contributions to cultural and/or sporting activities and community service.
* A copy of the candidate's school testimonial signed by the Principal (or nominee).
* Graduate Women Wellington shall have regard not only to the academic ability of the candidate, but also to factors such as character, leadership,community service and contributions to cultural and/or sporting activities. Graduate Women Wellington shall select scholars who display promise
for the future and who will make the most of the opportunities presented by this award.
* The recipient of this scholarship will also agree to the following:
o Mentor Programme,
o Work Experience Programme.
* Recipients will be expected to report to Graduate Women Wellington at their request on their progress.
* Recipients also agree to make themselves available for any promotion surrounding the University, the Victoria Foundation and the Scholarship if requested.
Graduate Women Wellington.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
The funds shall be paid to the successful recipient on confirmation of full-time enrolment at Victoria University.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Recipients will be expected to report to Graduate Women Wellington at their request on their progress. Recipients also agree to make themselves available for any promotion surrounding the University, the Victoria Foundation and the Scholarship if requested.
Who else has information about this award?
Graduate Women Wellington
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
Position: The Scholarships Office
Organisation: Victoria University of Wellington
Address: PO Box 600 Wellington 6140 New Zealand
Phone: +64 4 463 5557