Victoria Graduate Award
Please see additional information
Tenure of award:
Closing dates for applications:
1 November each year
Number of awards offered:
History or background of award
These awards consist of domestic tuition fees payable for the nominated degree programme up to the value of $5,000. Graduate Awards are awarded solely on the basis of academic merit.
Purpose of award
In line with the University's strategic objective of encouraging undergraduate students to proceed to graduate study and to research degrees, the University offers Victoria Graduate Awards to students intending to embark upon an Honours degree or a Masters degree, Part 1.
1. Applicants will have completed all pre-requisite course requirements and will enrol full-time at Victoria University in the year following application for at least 90 points of coursework for either:
• an Honours degree; or
• a Master’s degree taken via coursework with at least 90 points at 500 level and a thesis/research component of less than 90 points.
2. These scholarships are not available for post experience or vocational Master’s degrees, such as the MBA, MIM, or MIS, nor to Honours students undertaking or intending to undertake an undergraduate programme such as LLB (Hons) or BE (Hons). Postgraduate Diploma study will only be considered if it is recognised as Part 1 of a two year Masters course.
3. Subject to the approval of the University Research Scholarships Committee, a Victoria Graduate Award may be held with any other scholarship or award for which the holder is eligible, with the exception of a Victoria University funded fees remission.
1. Victoria Graduate Awards shall be awarded solely on the basis of academic merit by the University Research Scholarships Committee.
2. Applicants are expected to have achieved a minimum A grade average (GPA 8.0) at 300-level or above.
3. These scholarships are awarded based on the funds available determining the final minimum GPA requirement in any one year.
4. Holding a Victoria Graduate Award is conditional upon the scholarship recipient gaining enrolment in their intended Honours or Masters programme.
5. The Awards are a contribution to domestic tuition fees only whilst studying at Victoria University of Wellington and are not available for field trips or exchanges.
How do students apply?
An online application will be available approimately one month before the closing date.
Applicants will complete the online application form by the closing date. No late application will be accepted.
Enrolling as an Honours or Masters student and applying for a Victoria Graduate Award are two separate processes. The holding of a Victoria Graduate Award is conditional upon the scholarship recipient gaining enrollment into their intended Honours or Masters programme.
The Victoria Graduate Award consists of a contribution to tuition fees to the value of $5,000. International students will be liable to pay the difference between the full international student fee and the domestic tuition fee.
The selection of Award winners shall be made by the Research Scholarships Committee, a subcommittee of the University Research Committee.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
By late December in the year of application. If you are unsuccessful you may be notified by email only.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
Recipients are required to accept their offer of scholarship within four weeks of offer. The scholarship offer will lapse after this time.
The date of commencement for an Award shall normally be no later than the fifteenth day of March in the year following the year of application.
The University Research Scholarships Committee may at any time suspend or terminate a scholarship, or require the forfeiture of such proportion of the scholarship emolument as it may determine, if the scholarship recipient is not diligently pursuing their programme of study, has violated the University Statute on Conduct, or has failed to comply with any of the terms and conditions on which the scholarship was awarded.
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
Position: The Scholarships Office
Organisation: Victoria University of Wellington
Address: PO Box 600 Wellington 6140 New Zealand
Phone: +64 4 463 5557