Victoria offers Master’s degrees in more than 100 specialist subjects. Some programmes are research-based, others involve studying advanced courses.
How to apply
Your faculty or school can advise you on the process you need to follow, as some enrolments can be completed online and others use application forms.
If advised, download and complete these two forms for a Master's with a thesis component:
Master’s by coursework
This involves a combination of coursework—attending lectures and classes, completing assignments, and individual research. Some may be more coursework-focused and others more research-led.
Master’s by research
Studying by research provides an opportunity for independent study, free from the constraints of attending timetabled lectures and classes. Students work with a supervisor to present an original piece of research in the form of a thesis.
Many programmes offer full-time and part-time study options. Depending on the duration of the programme, full-time students can complete their study in one or two years. Part-time students usually take between two and four years.
Research topic and supervision
If you are considering a Master’s by research, you need to start thinking about a thesis topic as early as possible. Discuss your proposed topic and whether supervision is available with the Postgraduate Coordinator in the relevant Faculty or School.
Supervision of your research
Your supervisors can be from another school or, with approval, from outside Victoria—such as from a Crown research institute. Before your supervisor can be confirmed, you may have a preliminary supervisor or staff member to discuss your options and help you formulate your topic.
You will also have an administrative supervisor, that takes responsibility for the paperwork involved in your candidacy, and is normally the first point of contact in this area.
For more information, download the Master's Thesis Regulations.
Architecture and Design
The Faculty of Architecture and Design is a leading centre of architecture, building science and design in New Zealand. Our Master’s programmes will lead you to develop critical views, make connections and gain practical experience within a multidisciplinary environment.
As a Master’s student at Victoria Business School, you will learn from top-level staff, many of whom have strong international profiles and are involved in significant research projects.
- Master of International Trade
- Master of Professional Accounting
- Master of Professional Business Analysis
- Master of Professional Economics
- Master of Public Administration (Executive)
- Master of Public Management
- Master of Public Policy
- Master of Tourism Management by coursework and research
- Master of Tourism Management by thesis
Qualified teachers are in high demand. The Faculty of Education provides comprehensive Master’s programmes that bridge scholarship, research and professional practice.
Studying a Master of Engineering with the Faculty of Engineering, you will participate in cutting-edge research in technology designed for the modern digital world.
The health workforce is growing and needs qualified professionals. The Faculty of Health offers comprehensive postgraduate degrees in a range of specialisations that span health and wellbeing, health research, nursing, and midwifery.
Humanities and Social Sciences
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences offers one of the widest ranges of subjects in New Zealand. Master’s programmes draw on the teaching and research strengths of academic staff and the unique opportunities offered by our location in Wellington.
The Master of Laws is a flexible programme to suit lawyers seeking professional development and students looking for a quality learning environment. The Faculty of Law, in the heart of Wellington’s legal and political district, plays an important role in the intellectual life of the capital city.
Wellington has the highest concentration of scientists and science organisations in New Zealand, many of which have formed close links with Victoria. The Faculty of Science has top-level research supervision in a wide range of disciplines as well as excellent facilities.
- Master of Clinical Research (by research)
- Master of Innovation and Commercialisation
- Master of Applied Statistics
- Master of Biomedical Science by coursework and thesis
- Master of Biomedical Science by thesis
- Master of Clinical Immunology
- Master of Climate Change Science and Policy
- Master of Computer Science
- Master of Conservation Biology
- Master of Development Studies
- Master of Drug Discovery and Development
- Master of Environmental Science
- Master of Environmental Studies
- Master of Geographic Information Science
- Master of International Trade
- Master of Marine Conservation
- Master of Meteorology
- Master of Science by coursework and thesis (MSc)
- Master of Science by thesis (MSc)
- Master of Science in Society