Student ID cards
Once you've enrolled, apply for your Student ID before you start at Victoria.
Supplying your photo
To submit your ID photo for your student ID card, you can:
- submit a photo through the Online Enrolment System (OES) when you apply
- supply a photo at the Enrolment counter or through the post to the Enrolment Office
- email a .jpeg file to email@example.com with your full name, date of birth and student ID number. This allows you to quickly collect your ID card from the Kelburn campus.
All student ID card photos must meet these requirements:
- File type: .jpg or .jpeg.
- Include your whole face, facing forward.
- In full colour with good clarity.
- No hats or sunglasses.
- No logos or icons.
- No other people visible in the photo.
To check your photo meets the requirements, view the examples on the NZ Passports website.
Collecting your student ID card
Once you are fully enrolled and your fees have been paid in full (or your Student Loan has been confirmed by StudyLink), your card will be printed and ready for pick up.
- Studying by distance
- You will receive your student ID card by post—make sure your contact details are up to date.
- Studying in 2018
- You can collect your card from the Enrolment Office, ground floor of the Hunter building.
- If you haven't already supplied a photo, email your photo with your full name, date of birth and student ID number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your ID card will then be pre-printed.
Access on your student ID card
Access is granted 10 days before the start date of your course if you are fully enrolled and have paid your fees (or have arranged payment with the Fees team). Your access will continue until 10 days after the end of your course date.
Access is revoked when you:
- receive a fees hold on your account,
- withdraw from a course, or are not currently enrolled in any courses.
Length of validity
- PhD and Conjoint Degrees
- Valid for four years
- Bachelor Degrees
- Valid for three years
- Masters Degrees
- Valid for two years
- Postgraduate and Undergraduate Certificates and Diplomas, and Honours Degrees
- Valid for one year
Using your student ID card
You must have a current student ID card to:
- enrol with our IT services
- use the printers and photocopiers
- borrow library books
- collect assignments
- enter examinations
- access student services and support
- access after-hours computer labs
- access some halls of residence
- enter streamed classes
- make faculty office visits to request documentation such as transcripts, fees, assessments and to add or drop course(s)
- receive discounts (for the cable car, some movie theatres and restaurants).
Replacement student ID cards
Your first student ID card is free, but there is a $21 fee for replacing lost or damaged cards.
An exception to the replacement fee may be made under the following circumstances:
- Your student ID card is faulty (to be tested by Enrolment Staff).
- Your wallet/ID card has been stolen and you can provide a police report.
- You have had a gap in study of two or more years.
- You have changed qualification (and have not had a card issued for that qualification).
- You have had an official name change processed and need a card with your new name.
All other exceptions to the replacement fee must be approved by the Enrolment Manager.
Contact the Enrolment Office
Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade, Gate 2, Kelburn Campus
Phone: 0800 VICTORIA (0800 842 867)
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Enrolments open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm. Payments open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4pm.