Student ID cards
Find out how to get yourself sorted out with an ID card for entering classes, using the Library, receiving student discounts and much more.
Studying in 2019
Once you are fully enrolled and your fees have been paid in full, you are confirmed as fees free, or your Student Loan has been confirmed by StudyLink, you can pick up your card from the Enrolment Office, ground floor of the Hunter building, Kelburn campus.
If you haven't already supplied a photo, email your photo with your full name, date of birth, and Student ID number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your student ID card will then be pre-printed.
Photos should be passport sized and the picture front facing.
Studying by distance
You will receive your student ID card by post—make sure your contact details are up to date.
Supplying your photo
To submit your ID photo for your student ID card, you can:
- submit a photo through the Online Enrolment System (OES) when you apply
- supply a photo at the Enrolment counter or through the post to the Enrolment Office
- email a .jpeg file to email@example.com with your full name, date of birth, and student ID number. This allows you to quickly collect your ID card from the Kelburn campus.
All student ID card photos must meet these requirements:
- File type: .jpg or .jpeg.
- Include your whole face, facing forward.
- In full colour with good clarity.
- No hats or sunglasses.
- No logos or icons.
- No other people visible in the photo.
To check your photo meets the requirements, view the examples on the NZ Passports website.
Access on your student ID card
Access is granted 10 days before the start date of your course if you are fully enrolled and have paid your fees (or have arranged payment with the Fees team). Your access will continue until 10 days after the end of your course date.
Access is revoked if you receive a fees hold on your account, withdraw from a course, or are not currently enrolled in any courses.
Length of validity
- PhD and Conjoint Degrees
- Valid for four years
- Bachelor Degrees
- Valid for three years
- Masters Degrees
- Valid for two years
- Postgraduate and Undergraduate Certificates and Diplomas, and Honours Degrees
- Valid for one year
Using your student ID card
You must have a current student ID card to:
- enrol with our IT services
- use the printers and photocopiers
- borrow library books
- collect assignments
- enter examinations
- access student services and support
- access after-hours computer labs
- access some halls of residence
- enter streamed classes
- make faculty office visits to request documentation such as transcripts, fees, assessments, and to add or drop course(s)
- receive discounts (for the cable car, some movie theatres, and restaurants).
Replacement student ID cards
Your first student ID card is free, but there is a $21 fee for replacing lost or damaged cards.
An exception to the replacement fee may be made under the following circumstances:
- Your student ID card is faulty (to be tested by Enrolment Staff).
- Your wallet/ID card has been stolen and you can provide a police report.
- You have had a gap in study of two or more years.
- You have changed qualification (and have not had a card issued for that qualification).
- You have had an official name change processed and need a card with your new name.
All other exceptions to the replacement fee must be approved by the Enrolment Manager.
You can request and pay for a replacement Student ID online. We will email you when your new card is ready to collect.
If you would like a new photo on your ID, email your photo through to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Replacement ID’ in the subject as well as including your name and student ID number in the body of the email. Alternatively, you can also come in to the Enrolment Office (Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Campus) to have a new photo taken.
If you have an active suspension you will lose access.
There is a grace period of access for thesis students after your programme of study has ended or thesis is submitted.
Contact the Enrolment Office
Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade, Gate 2, Kelburn Campus
Phone: 0800 VICTORIA (0800 842 867)
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Enrolments open Monday–Friday between 8.30 am and 5 pm. Payments open Monday–Friday between 8.30 am and 4 pm.