If something serious happens to affect your ability to take assessments or exams, you may be eligible for an aegrotat. This page explains when and how to apply.

The Student Aegrotat Flow Chart contains two diagrams that illustrate how aegrotats work and how you can apply for one—explained in further detail on this page.

To apply for an aegrotat, you will need to download the Aegrotat Application form, print it and complete the first page, sections [1]–[4], then ask your health professional to complete the second page, sections, [5]–[6].

If you are a registered health professional who will be certifying evidence in conjunction with a Victoria student’s aegrotat application, download the Health Professional Aegrotat Workflow Guide for further guidance.

When and how do you apply for an aegrotat pass?

You may apply for an aegrotat when:

  • your preparation time has been seriously impaired in the three weeks leading up to an examination or to the due date of an assessment item scheduled within the last three weeks of teaching
  • your performance in an examination or other assessment has been seriously impaired or
  • you have been prevented from attending an examination or completing an item of assessment for the following reasons:
    • a serious illness or injury
    • personal bereavement
    • some other critical personal circumstance involving the health or wellbeing of a relative or close friends or
    • some other exceptional circumstance beyond your control.

Documented evidence of those circumstances is required from a registered health professional such as a doctor or a counsellor. Note that if you are unable to attend an examination, you will normally need to have seen the health professional within 24 hours of the time of the examination or due date of the piece of assessment.

Aegrotats are not awarded on compassionate grounds alone. You must also have completed sufficient course work (normally at least 30 percent) to a standard where the Head of School can state that you are clearly worthy of a pass.

Applying for an aegrotat

Note: The first step is to discuss your options with your Faculty office as an aegrotat application may not be your only option.

If the circumstances occur towards the end of the course (at most three weeks before the end of teaching) you must explore the possibility of an extension or other alternative arrangements for any assessment item. To discuss your options, visit your Faculty office.

If you are unwell or have other personal issues on the day of an examination, contact your Faculty office, Student Health, Student Counselling or Disability Services. They can advise you about alternative facilities (including sitting the examination in a separate room or getting help from a reader/writer if you cannot write) or provide you with an Aegrotat Application form.

Aegrotat Application forms are available from your Faculty office or from Student Health and Student Counselling. There are separate sections to be filled in by you and by your health professional, who then forwards the application to the Faculty office.

Once it is received, the school is asked to provide an academic assessment of the work you completed in the course, but the school does not see what you or your health professional has written. The academic profile is completed by the Course Coordinator and Head of School who make a recommendation to the Convenor of the Academic Committee. The academic profile and application are forwarded to the Convenor of the Academic Committee who makes the final decision. You will be advised of the decision in writing by the Faculty office. If your application is successful, you will receive an ungraded “G” (aegrotat) pass.

Note: Grades are often published before the outcome of the aegrotat application decision is advised to the Faculty office. If an aegrotat is awarded, your records will be adjusted and you can check this in your academic record which is accessible via the Student Portal.

Deadlines relating to aegrotat applications

If you are applying because you were unable to sit an examination or test, or were impaired during the examination or test, you must see your health professional within 24 hours of the scheduled time.

If your application is based on impaired preparation, you must have seen your health professional during the three weeks leading up to the examination or due date.

Your application for an aegrotat shall be submitted to your Faculty office within seven days of the relevant examination or submission date. In exceptional circumstances the Convener of the Academic Committee may accept late applications if supported by a health professional seen at the relevant time.

What if you subsequently pass the course with the assessment that you have completed?

Sometimes this happens because you have done well in the prior assessments and this is enough to get you a pass, usually with a lower grade. In this case, the grade will be recorded but you can also apply to have an impaired performance comment on your transcript. Your Faculty office can advise you how to apply for this.

Appealing the decision

You may appeal the decision. This must be in writing and must include new evidence that has not already been presented. The appeal should be addressed to the relevant Manager, Faculty office, and must be received within two weeks of the date of notification of the decision. The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) considers such appeals.

Who to contact at the University

Contact your Faculty office if you need help completing the Aegrotat application form.