Student ID cards

Find out how to get yourself sorted out with an ID card for entering classes, using the Library, receiving student discounts and much more.

Supplying your photo

To submit your ID photo for your student ID card, you can:

  • submit a photo through the Online Enrolment System (OES) when you apply
  • supply a photo at the Enrolment counter or through the post to the Enrolment Office
  • email a .jpeg file to with your full name, date of birth and student ID number. This allows you to quickly collect your ID card from the Kelburn campus.


All student ID card photos must meet these requirements:

  • File type: .jpg or .jpeg.
  • Include your whole face, facing forward.
  • In full colour with good clarity.
  • No hats or sunglasses.
  • No logos or icons.
  • No other people visible in the photo.

To check your photo meets the requirements, view the examples on the NZ Passports website.

Collecting your student ID card

Once you are fully enrolled and your fees have been paid in full, you are confirmed as fees free, or your Student Loan has been confirmed by StudyLink, your card will be printed and ready for pick up.

If you haven't already supplied a photo, email your photo with your full name, date of birth, and Student ID number to Your student ID card will then be pre-printed.

Photos should be passport sized and the picture front facing.

Studying by distance

You will receive your student ID card by post—make sure your contact details are up to date.

Studying in Trimester 3 2018

You will receive an email when your ID card is available to collect from the Enrolment Office, ground floor of the Hunter building.

Studying in 2019

Once your enrolment is complete, and your fees have been paid in full, you are confirmed as fees free, or your Student Loan has been confirmed by StudyLink, you can pick up your card from the Kelburn campus.

You can collect your card between 9.00 am and 4.00 pm from Monday 18 February to Thursday 7 March 2019 at the Student Lounge (SUB216), Level 2, Student Union building.

After that, go to the Enrolment Office, ground floor of the Hunter building.

Access on your student ID card

Access is granted 10 days before the start date of your course if you are fully enrolled and have paid your fees (or have arranged payment with the Fees team). Your access will continue until 10 days after the end of your course date.

Access is revoked when you:

  • receive a fees hold on your account,
  • withdraw from a course, or are not currently enrolled in any courses.

Length of validity

PhD and Conjoint Degrees
Valid for four years
Bachelor Degrees
Valid for three years
Masters Degrees
Valid for two years
Postgraduate and Undergraduate Certificates and Diplomas, and Honours Degrees
Valid for one year

Using your student ID card

You must have a current student ID card to:

  • enrol with our IT services
  • use the printers and photocopiers
  • borrow library books
  • collect assignments
  • enter examinations
  • access student services and support
  • access after-hours computer labs
  • access some halls of residence
  • enter streamed classes
  • make faculty office visits to request documentation such as transcripts, fees, assessments and to add or drop course(s)
  • receive discounts (for the cable car, some movie theatres and restaurants).

Replacement student ID cards

Your first student ID card is free, but there is a $21 fee for replacing lost or damaged cards.

An exception to the replacement fee may be made under the following circumstances:

  • Your student ID card is faulty (to be tested by Enrolment Staff).
  • Your wallet/ID card has been stolen and you can provide a police report.
  • You have had a gap in study of two or more years.
  • You have changed qualification (and have not had a card issued for that qualification).
  • You have had an official name change processed and need a card with your new name.

All other exceptions to the replacement fee must be approved by the Enrolment Manager.

You can request and pay for a replacement Student ID online. We will email you when your new card is ready to collect.

If you would like a new photo on your ID, please email your photo through to with ‘Replacement ID’ in the subject as well as including your name and student ID number in the body of the email. Alternatively you can also come in to the Enrolment Office (Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Campus) to have a new photo taken.

Thesis students

If you have an active suspension you will lose access.

There is a grace period of access for thesis students after your programme of study has ended or thesis is submitted.

Contact the Enrolment Office

Level 1, Hunter Building, Kelburn Parade, Gate 2, Kelburn Campus
Phone: 0800 VICTORIA (0800 842 867)

Postal address
Enrolment Office
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington 6140
New Zealand

Opening hours

Enrolments open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm. Payments open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4pm.