Post study work visa

International students who have graduated with a New Zealand qualification can apply for the post-study work visa.

The post-study work visa is a one-year visa that lets international graduates work for any employer in New Zealand.

If you find a job that’s relevant to what you studied, you can then apply to New Zealand Immigration to have your work visa extended for up to two years.

Who can apply

You can apply if you’ve successfully completed, in New Zealand, a qualification that would gain points under New Zealand Immigration Skilled Migrant Category—this includes most Bachelor, Master’s and PhD qualifications.

See the full list of eligible qualifications on Immigration New Zealand's website.

How to apply

You must apply directly to Immigration New Zealand. You can choose to apply through INZ's online application portal, Immigration Online, or use the paper form INZ1015.

You’ll need:

  • a completed Work Visa application form INZ1015 (be sure to also download the application checklist and attach it to the front of your application)
  • evidence that you’ve completed your qualification and are eligible to graduate
  • a recent bank statement showing a balance of at least NZ$4,200
  • the preceding three months' transaction history
  • your passport
  • two recent passport-size photographs.

You must apply for the post-study work visa within three months of the end date of the student visa which allowed you to study the eligible qualification. PhD students can apply up to six months after the end date of their student visa. You should have a valid New Zealand visa at all times while in New Zealand.

More information

The Immigration New Zealand website has more information about the requirements under the Study to Work category and the steps to apply for a visa.