We have a range of sports opportunities available, catering for casual through to competitive players.
Summer sports leagues
Our social sports leagues are a great way to get active in a fun and friendly environment.
Six-week summer leagues are running in basketball and futsal. Referees are provided and games run in 40-minute game slots: futsal is played across two 18-minute halves, and basketball is played across four 9-minute quarters.
Summer registrations are now open.
For other general enquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Sport||Days and times||Team details||Location|
Commences 29 October
No gender restrictions
(delivered in partnership with Capital Football)
Commences 31 October
No gender restrictions
- Victoria University of Wellington student team:
- $170 per team.
- Teams consisting of Victoria University of Wellington students only. All players must provide current student ID numbers.
- Combined team:
- $200 per team.
- Teams with at least three Victoria University of Wellington students or staff who must provide a current student or staff ID number.
- Public team:
- $290 per person.
- Teams with less than three Victoria University of Wellington students or staff.
Just Play—drop in sports sessions
These sessions are free, flexible, and open to everyone—perfect for students who are keen to stay active and meet like-minded people, but don’t want a regular or ongoing commitment.
Victoria Recreation spaces are reserved for the following sports at regular times each week, so students can turn up and play. Equipment is provided.
It is up to those who attend to manage how the time and space is used, but see one of our friendly staff if you need any assistance.
- Badminton: Main gym, Mondays 1–2.30 pm.
- Futsal: Main gym, Tuesdays 1–2:30 pm.
- Football: Boyd-Wilson Arena*, Wednesdays 3.30–5.30 pm.
- Volleyball: Main gym, Thursdays 2–4 pm.
- Basketball: Main gym, Fridays 2–3.30 pm.
- Running: Meet at Recreation Centre, Mondays 6.15 pm.
*You will need to collect the swipe card from the Recreation Centre first.
Victoria University of Wellington is a proud member of University and Tertiary Sport New Zealand (UTSNZ).
Across the year, UTSNZ helps to deliver a selection of high quality competitive sports tournament for tertiary students.
Participating in a University team is open to any Victoria University of Wellington students. This is a great opportunity to meet new people, travel across New Zealand, and compete against New Zealand's best tertiary institutions.
Find out more about Tertiary sports.
Competitive sports teams and athletes
If you’re keen on more structured, competitive sporting opportunities, find out whether there's a club that can provide you with this in our clubs directory.