BA(Hons) VictoriaMA VictoriaDip Ed StudiesDip Tchg
- Co-founder New Zealand Sociology (1986–); SITES: A Journal for Radical Perspectives on Culture (1981–).
- Member, Editorial Board, Perfect Beat: The Journal of Research into Contemporary Music and Popular Culture (1992–).
- Member, Editorial Board, Celebrity Studies (2010-).
- Oceania Editor for submissions to the Online Popular Music Studies Database, housed at the Fondazione Cini in Venice.
- Editorial consultant for Routledge (UK).
- Occasional consultant for New Zealand On Air, the Broadcasting Standards Authority, The New Zealand Censor's Office; and the Ministries of Education and Broadcasting.
Selection of publications
- Shuker, R. (2013) 'Record Collecting and Fandom', in Mark Duffett, ed. Popular Music Fandom. Identities, Roles and Practices, Routledge, London & New York, pp.165-185.
- Shuker, R. (2013) Understanding Popular Music Culture, 4th edition, Routledge, London & New York, pp. 282.
- Shuker, R. (2012) Popular Music Culture. The Key Concepts, 3rd edition, Routledge, London & New York, pp.365.
- Shuker, R. (2011) 'Popular Music and Revisionist History: Review Essay', Perfect Beat, 12, 1: 91-7.
- Shuker, R. (2010) Wax Trash and Vinyl Junkies: Record Collecting as a Social Practice, Ashgate Popular and Folk Music Series, Ashgate, Aldershot, England, 2010.
- Shuker, R. (2009) Rock Total: Todo Lo Que Saber, Ma Non Troppo, Spain.
- Shuker, R. (2009) 'The Music Industry: Revenue streams, gatekeepers, and the Internet', in D. Albertazzi & P. Cobley, eds. The Media: An Introduction, Third edition, Longman, UK, 2009.