School of English Film Theatre and Media Studies
Current research projects
- The life and work of Samuel Butler.
- HG Wells (various projects).
In his 35 years at Victoria, Roger Robinson was a Professor, Head of Department, Dean, and Assistant Vice-Chancellor. As Head of Department, he developed modern and New Zealand literature, and initiated the 'Journal of New Zealand Literature' and Victoria Writing Fellowship. He also initiated Victoria's Tourism programme, and steered the revision of New Zealand schools' English curriculum and was adviser to the Minister.
He was twice a judge for the national book awards, and initiated and convened several major literary conferences, including international Mansfield Centenary conferences in Chicago and Wellington. His publications as a literary scholar range from the 18th century English novel to contemporary New Zealand and Pacific writing, with the authoritative 'Oxford Companion to New Zealand Literature' (1998) his best known work. He now works as an internationally-published sports writer, book author, and speaker, based in New York and Wellington. This work won the 2007 George Sheehan Award in USA and has been commended in 'Best American Sports Writing.'
Selection of publications
- 26.2 Marathon Stories (with Kathrine Switzer, Rodale, USA, Allen & Unwin, Auckland, 2006).
- Katherine Mansfield: In from the Margin (Louisiana State Univ Press, 1994).
- Oxford Companion to New Zealand Literature (OUP, 1998).
- Julius Vogel's Anno Domini 2000 (Exisle, 2000).
- Robert Louis Stevenson: His Best Pacific Writings (Bess Press, Hawai'i, Streamline, 2003; University of Queensland, 2004).
- Running in Literature (Breakaway, New York, 2003).
All these titles available from address