Teaching in 2019
- as Course Coordinator and Lecturer
- as Course Coordinator and Lecturer
World Cinemas; Cultural Policy; Latin American Film; South Korean Film; Transnational Cinema; 3D Film; Gender Theory; Third Cinema; Cinema Industry; New Digital Technology
BA Trinity College Dublin, MLitt Glasgow, PhD Glasgow
Current research projects
My research areas lie in global cinema dynamics with an emphasis on production, distribution and exhibition. I am particularly interested in new technologies and their affect on filmmaking and circulation. The following projects encompass fields that I am keen to collaborate on.
- Virtual Reality: I am working on a media archaeology approach to Virtual Reality with an emphasis on what a Humanities understanding can bring to a field often dominated by technology writing. A large component of my investigation in this area is undertaken via practice-based research, particularly in relation to 360-degree films
- Stereoscopic (3D) media: I am working on a major project on 3D media that includes consideration of stereoscopic media's aesthetics and global mobility. I recently published a book on 3D cinema and am now working on a new book that deals with stereoscopic media more broadly. Along with Dr. Leon Gurevitch, I founded Stereoscopic Media. This website provides academic resources and discussion on stereoscopic media.
- Latin American Cinema: My monograph, South American Cinematic Culture: Policy, Production, Distribution and Exhibition, was published in 2010. I am continuing to develop a number of themes addressed in this text and have been expanding them to other Latin American cinemas.
- New Digital Filmmaking: As part of my project on 3D cinema I examine high budget digital cinema but I also investigate low and zero budget filmmaking, particularly its dissemination on internet platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo. This has led to creative work that challenges the parameters of digital production. More information on this project can be found on my website.
Areas of supervision
- Latin American Film
- Stereoscopic Media
- 3D Film
- Virtual Reality
- Film Festivals
- Transnational Cinema
- Third Cinema
- Cinema Industry
- New Digital Technologies
- Cultural Policy
- South Korean Film
‘PND: Autobiographical Performance for Virtual Reality Film’ in International Journal of Performance Arts and Digital Media, 0:0, 2018. 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1080/14794713.2018.1505384.
(with Alfio Leotta) ‘Touring the ‘World Picture’: Virtual Reality and the Tourist Gaze’ in Studies in Documentary Film, 0:0, 2018. 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1080/17503280.2018.1503859.
(with Alex Munt) ‘Cinematic Virtual Reality: Towards the Spatialized Screenplay’ in Journal of Screenwriting, 9:2, 2018. 191–209. https://doi.org/10.1386/josc.9.2.191_1.
(with Dave Neal) ‘Mobile Framing: Vertical Videos from User-Generated Content to Corporate Marketing’ in Max Schleser and Marsha Berry (eds.) Mobile Story Making in an Age of Smartphones. Cham: Springer International Publishing, 2018, pp.151–60. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-76795-6.
‘Godard’s Stereoscopic Illusions: Against a Total Cinema’ in Screening the Past, 41, 2016, np http://www.screeningthepast.com/2016/12/godards-stereoscopic-illusions-against-a-total-cinema/
(with Jonathan Mines) ‘Stereotowns’ in [in]Transitions, 3:2, 2016, np
‘Transformative Bodies in 3D Cinema: Computer Generated Morphing and Extra-sensory Depth Cues’ in Markus Spöhrer (ed) The Aesthetic and Narrative Dimensions of 3D-Film, Springer VS, 2016, pp.123-136
‘Marketing High Frame Rate in The Hobbit Trilogy: A Spectacular Case of Promoting and Un-promoting New Cinema Technology’ in Nolwenn Mignant, Cecilia Tirtaine and Joel Augros (eds.) Film Marketing into the Twenty-First Century. London: British Film Institute Press, 2015, pp.80-91
3D Cinema: Optical Illusions and Tactile Experiences , Houndmills, Basingstoke; New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
'Vertical Framing: Authenticity and New Aesthetic Practice in Online Videos' in Refractory, 24, 2014, np.
(with Maddy Glen) 'Vertical Cinema: New Digital Possibilities' in Rhizomes, 26, 2014.
'Stereoscopic Visuality: Where is the Screen, Where is the Film?' in Convergence, 19:4, 2013. 406-414.
'Interstitial Film Viewing: Community Exhibition in the Twenty-first Century' in Continuum, 27:3, 2013. 446-457.
(with Dr Leon Gurevitch) 'Stereoscopic Media: Scholarship beyond Booms and Busts' in Public, 47, 2013. 83-93.
'Interstitial Film Viewing: Community Exhibition in the Twenty-first Century' in Continuum, 27:3, 2013, pp.446-457.
'Latin American transnational film: Divergent practice in Ricardo de Montreuil's La mujer de mi hermano and Máncora' in Transnational Cinema, 3:2, 2013. 93-209.
'The 3D aesthetic: Avatar and hyper-haptic visuality' in Screen, 53:4, 2012. 381-397.
Selection of recent conference papers
(with Alex Munt) Screenwriting Research Network, 28 – 31 Aug 2017 ‘Cinematic Virtual Reality: ‘Spatialising the Screenplay’
MECCSA, University of Leeds, 11 Jan – 13 Jan 2017 ‘Virtual Reality: The State of Play’
MINA, Swinbourne Univeristy, 31 Nov – 2 Dec 2016 ‘Vertical Framing: From User Generated Videos to Corporate Marketing’
(with Raqi Syed) MINA, Swinbourne Univeristy, 31 Nov – 2 Dec 2016 ‘VR Projects Funded by Digital Futures, Victoria University’
Popcaanz, University of Sydney, 29th June – 1 July 2016 ‘4D Attractions: Extra Sensory Appeal and Expanded Spaces’
Late Godard 'Goodbye to Language': Digital + 3D Cinema symposium, University of Sydney, 22 Oct 2015, ‘Godard’s Imperfect 3D: Against a Total Cinema’
Rebooting Futurism Symposium, Victoria University of Wellington, 15 June 2015 ‘3D Cats with Vertical Video Syndrome’ (art installation and conference presentation)
MeCCSA, Northumbria University, 7th Jan -9th Jan 2015 '3D Development: Stereoscopic Strategies of Novelty, Innovation and Nostalgia'.
ADA, AUT, 12th-14th September 2014, 'Urban Landscapes in 3D: Spectacular and Realist Views'.
MINA, AUT, 20th – 22nd November 2013, 'The New Vertical: Visual Parameters for Mobile Media'.
Screen Conference, University of Glasgow, 28th - 30th June 2013, 'Stereoscopic debris: affective moments in 3D cinema'.
London Film and Media Conference, London, 26th June – 29nd June 2013, 'Stereoscopic Affect: Embodied Relations in 3D Cinema'.
Intermediations, University of Otago, 31st May 2013, 'Vertical Framing: Creating Tension Between User Generated Online Videos and Traditional Filmmaking Norms'.
MeCCSA, University of Ulster, 9th Jan -11th Jan 2013 'Stereoscopic media: networking education and entertainment through spectacular vision'.
Recent creative work
PND (360-degree film) https://veer.tv/videos/pnd-199134
Until Jesse 360 (360-degree film) https://youtu.be/FzIe4AjUanA
Vertical Cinema Manifesto (short film)
Heaven (short film)