MA(Hons) 1st class Auckland
PhD British Columbia
Mark's research has focused on New Zealand and modern literature. He has published widely in both fields since the mid 1980s and is on the editorial boards of numerous scholarly journals, including Journal of Commonwealth Literature and Canadian Literature.
Current research projects
Editor, A History of New Zealand Literature (Cambridge University Press).
Areas of supervision
Modern and New Zealand Literature.
- 2014: "Between Modernism and the Postcolonial: Reading Patrick White and Malcolm Lowry in the 1970s." In New Directions in the History of the Novel. Eds. Andrew Nash, Patrick Parrinder and Nicola Watson. New York: Palgrave, 177-91.
- 2012: With Jane Stafford. The Auckland University Press Anthology of New Zealand Literature. Auckland: Auckland University Press. 1162pp.
- 2001: Visiting Invitation Fellowship awarded by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science; sponsor, Prof Masami Nakao, University of Tokyo.
- 1997: Montana Book Award, Poetry Section, for An Anthology of New Zealand Verse in English
- 1995: Canadian Faculty Research Award
- 1994: Choice, "Outstanding Academic Book" for Patrick White (1993)
- 1991: Canadian Faculty Enrichment Award
Selection of publications
- "Between Modernism and the Postcolonial: Reading Patrick White and Malcolm Lowry in the 1970s." In New Directions in the History of the Novel. Eds. Andrew Nash, Patrick Parrinder and Nicola Watson. New York: Palgrave, 2014: 177-91.
- ‘"When You’re Dead You Go on Television": Sex, Death and Household Objects in Some New Zealand Poetry’. Sport, 42 (2014): 149-73.
- With Jane Stafford, eds. The Auckland University Press Anthology of New Zealand Literature, Auckland University Press 2013.
- With Jane Stafford. "New Zealand." Year's Work in English Studies 91, no 1, 2012.
- With Jane Stafford. Maoriland: New Zealand Literature 1872–1914. Wellington: Victoria University Press, 2006. 350pp.
- Post-colonial Literatures in English: Southeast Asia, New Zealand and the Pacific. New York: G.K. Hall, 1996. 370pp.
- Patrick White. London: Macmillan; New York: St Martin's Press, 1993. 185pp.
- Leaving the Highway: Six Contemporary New Zealand Novelists. Auckland: Auckland University Press, 1990. 232pp.
- With Evgeny Pavlov, eds. Land of Seas: An Anthology of New Zealand Poetry, trans. Arkadii Dragomoschenko, Evgeny Pavlov et al. Moscow: New Literary Review, 2005. 453pp.
- With Jenny Bornholdt and Gregory O'Brien, eds. An Anthology of New Zealand Poetry in English. Auckland: Oxford University Press, 1997. 547pp.
- With Michele Leggott, eds Opening the Book: New Essays on New Zealand Writing. Auckland: Auckland University Press, 1995. 334pp.
- "The Long Maori Renaissance." Other Renaissances. Eds Zhou Gang, Sander Gilman and Brenda Deen Schildgen. London: Palgrave, 2006.
- "Mansfield in Maoriland: Biculturalism, Agency and Misreading." In Modernism and Empire, edited by Howard J Booth and Nigel Rigby. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000): 249–74.
- "Literary Scholarship, Criticism and Theory." In The Oxford History of New Zealand Literature in English, 2nd ed, edited by Terry Sturm. Auckland: Oxford University Press, 1998): 695–736.
- "On the Discriminations of Postcolonialism in Australia and New Zealand." University of Toronto Quarterly, 73, no 2 (Spring 2004): 739–53.
- With Elizabeth Gordon. "Raids on the Articulate: Code-Switching, Style-Shifting and Post-Colonial Writing." Journal of Commonwealth Literature, 33, no. 2 (1998): 75–96.
Professional links and responsibilities
Associate Editor, Year's Work in English Studies (Oxford University Press), responsible for editing the 'New Literatures' section
- Member, advisory board, International Journal of Comparative Literature and Translation Studies, 2013-
- With Jane Stafford, eds., Best New Zealand Poems 2013, International Institute of Modern Letters, Victoria University of Wellington
- With Jane Stafford, annual critical survey of New Zealand and the Pacific, Year’s Work in English Studies, 2010-
- Conference co-organiser with Lydia Wevers, "Flogging a Dead Horse," Victoria University of Wellington, 11-13 December 2008
- Conference co-organiser with Ralph Crane and Elizabeth Leane, “Imagining Antarctica,” Canterbury University, 4-6 September 2008
- Member, editorial board, Journal of Commonwealth Literature, 2005-
- Member, advisory board, Commonwealth Essays and Studies, 2005-
- Member, advisory board, Moving Worlds: A Journal of Transcultural Writing (University of Leeds), 2005-
- Organiser, "Biculturalism or Multiculturalism," conference held in Christchurch, 1-3 September 2005
- Vice-President, New Zealand, Asian-Australasian Association for the Study of Australasia, 2005
- Member, editorial board, Canadian Literature, 2002-
- Member, editorial board, Journal of New Zealand Studies, 2001-
- Member, board of the Asian-Australasian Association for the Study of Australasia, July 1998
- Member, editorial board, Kunapipi, 1991-