BA(Hons) TorPhD London
Current research projects
I am co-editing Vol. 4 of The of Works John Webster for Cambridge University Press, and Twelfth Night for Internet Shakespeare Editions. I am also writing a book on Webster's The Duchess of Malfi, and co-editing a collection of essays for Oxford University Press on Shakespeare and Fletcher's lost play Cardenio.
Areas of supervision
- Shakespearean stagecraft.
- New Zealand drama.
- Theatre history.
Selection of publications
- (With David O'Donnell) 'Maori Dramaturgy: The Case of Nga Tangata Toa', in Performing Aotearoa, ed. Marc Maufort and David O'Donnell (P.I.E.—Peter Lang).
- (With David Gunby) 'The Progeny of Prince James: Sources and States', Print Quarterly.
- Ed. (with David Gunby, Antony Hammond, and MacDonald P Jackson), The Works of John Webster , 3 vols. (Cambridge University Press, 1995–2007).
- (With Sue Dunlop) '"A More Democratic Basis": The New Zealand Centennial Drama Festival, 1940', in W. L. Renwick, ed., Creating a National Spirit: Celebrating New Zealand's Centennial (Victoria University Press, 2004) pp. 246–59.
- 'Mutinous Soldiers and Shouts [Within]: Stage Directions and Early Modern Dramaturgy', in Words That Count: Essays on Early Modern Authorship in Honor of MacDonald P. Jackson , ed. Brian Boyd (University of Delaware Press, 2004).
- 'Malvolio within : Performance Perspectives on the Dark House', Shakespeare Quarterly, 52, 3 (Fall 2001), pp. 393–414.
- 'Curtains and Comedy: Explorations of the Uses of Stage Hangings for Comedy at Shakespeare's Globe', Shakespeare's Globe Research Bulletin , 11 (Dec. 1999), 19 pp.
- 'New Zealand', in The World Encyclopedia of Contemporary Theatre , Vol. 5: Asia/Pacific (Routledge, London and New York, 1998), pp. 333–53.