Teaching in 2019
- as Course Coordinator and Lecturer
- as Course Lecturer
Natural products chemistry Food chemistry Analysis of grapes and wine Organic synthesis of natural products Organic spectroscopy
My group carries out bio-prospecting to find new pharmaceutical lead compounds for medical applications.
We collect marine organisms from around New Zealand and in the wider Pacific region and use solvents to make crude extracts which contain a multitude of compounds. Extracts are subjected to evaluation in a variety of biological screens and those with positive activities are iteratively purified to isolate the active principles. Pure compounds are then identified using multiple chemical and spectroscopic techniques.
Our work involves the following techniques
- Modern isolation technologies such as open column, low-pressure and high-performance liquid chromatography and size-exclusion chromatography.
- Chemical analysis using gas chromatography, infrared and UV/visible spectroscopy, mass spectrometry and both 1D and 2D NMR experiments
- Bioassay guided isolation
- Flavour and aroma analysis
Current local and international collaborations include CSIRO Plant Industry, Adelaide, Australia, Massey University, University of Canterbury, Rhodes University, and University of Notre Dame, Perth, Australia.
Visit the Natural Products Chemistry group website.
View my publications.