Victoria Tongarewa Scholarship
Scholarships for study in the following year will be awarded competitively on the basis of academic excellence. Scholarships will be credited to tuition fees. Shortlisted candidates may be requested to undertake a skype interview.
The Victoria Tongarewa Scholarship ("the Scholarship") celebrates Victoria's committment to our international student community. These scholarships will provide partial fee-based scholarships for one year. Applicants can be either entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
Applicants must be international full fee-paying students who have not completed their secondary education at a New Zealand secondary school or their prerequisite degree at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants must be international students enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington.
- Applicants can be entering either their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement outlining why you wish to study at Victoria University, your academic goals and why you merit the scholarship. You should also include any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community.
- Full transcripts uploaded in the online application and other relevant documentation relevant to the qualification type.
Selection will be made by a panel made up of appropriate Victoria International staff.
The Scholarship will comprise a partial fees scholarship. Up to 10 scholarships of NZ$10,000 will be available to both undergraduate and postgraduate recipients and up to 9 scholarships of NZ$5,000 will be available to postgraduate recipients. Scholarships will be paid towards tuition fees. Recipients of the Victoria Tongarewa Scholarship are guaranteed an offer of a place in one of our Halls of Residence, provided an accommodation application is received by the Accommodation Service by 1 October.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.