Victoria Hardship Fund Equity Grants
These grants are to encourage students who are facing financial hardship to continue in their studies at Victoria University of Wellington.
The grants are funded from the Student Assistance Scheme, and were established in 2000.
Applications are open to all students who are currently studying at Victoria University of Wellington including domestic, international, undergraduate, postgraduate, part time and full time students. Applicants must be enrolled in the trimester they are applying for. E.g. students who apply for round 1 must be enrolled in trimester 1 of the same year.
The grants will be awarded on the basis of financial need and satisfactory academic commitment and progress. Factors taken into consideration when assessing financial need could include - high course costs, high transport costs, medical conditions or a disability preventing part-time workm family to support, any other relevant circumstances.
The grants are intended to assist with ongoing costs related study. They are not intended for tuition fees. The student is expected to be claiming all other available funding; ie StudyLink, Student Loand, if eligible.
All offers of the award will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in the trimester they are applying for and having satisfactory academic progress in their prior trimester.
Recipients are expected to register with their student ID number and complete two online Blackbullion modules (of their choice) before receiving the second instalment. The second instalment will not be paid until this condition is met.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement (max 500 words) outlining your financial difficulties and your personal circumstances and study goals
- Proof of your income (details of specific documents required are on online application)
These grants are intended to assist with ongoing costs related to study. They are not intended for tuition fees. The award may be paid in installments.
Applicants will receive email an email informing the outcome of their application within 6 weeks of the application closing date.
There are three rounds of applications per year: Round 1 : 18th February 2019 Round 2: 10th June 2019 Round 3: 30th September 2019 Applications will open online four weeks prior to the closing date. Late applications may be accepted at the discretion of the selection panel. The grants are up to $2,000 and the number and value of each grant is at the discretion of the selection panel whose decision is final. The award will be paid in two instalments.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.