Tu Horomata Scholarships
The purpose of the scholarships is to increase retention and completion rates of Māori at Masters level or to encourage Māori into higher education and into subject areas where Māori are under-represented.
Targeted Māori scholarships are available for full-time study at postgraduate level for students with high academic potential. These scholarships are known as Tu Horomata Scholarships (Horomata means pure or excellent) and are funded by Victoria University's equity funding.
Selection for all Tu Horomata scholarships will be based on; the student's academic record; support for the intended research within the School/Faculty in the form of a reference statement; the relevance of the intended research project to the interests of Māori and/or whether the research is in area where Māori are under represented.
- Applicants must be enrolled in postgraduate level studies
- Applicants must be able to provide evidence of their Maori heritage
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A reference requested via the online application
- Korowai Maori
- Kaumatua endorsement
The DVC (Māori) will appoint a panel to select recipients.
This fund scholarship is designed to encourage current Victoria University students to continue on to postgraduate study, therefore, students must be enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington in the year of application.
Recipients of the full award are expected to sign the Victoria Postgraduate Scholarship contract.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.