OG Oil and Gas/New Zealand Oil and Gas Scholarship
The main purpose of the scholarship is to encourage and support students studying toward a taught Master’s in Science (Geophysics or Geology) at Victoria University of Wellington, who intend to develop their career in the petroleum sector in New Zealand.
This scholarship was established in 2019 and is funded by OG Oil and Gas, the majority shareholder in New Zealand Oil and Gas.
This scholarship is open to applicants enrolled in a taught Master’s in Science majoring in Geophysics or Geology at Victoria University of Wellington. Recipients will be selected on academic merit; character, leadership potential and social skills; the applicant’s potential contribution to the oil and gas industry in New Zealand, future career plans and/or intention for future study as demonstrated in a personal statement.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a taught Master’s in Science majoring in Geophysics or Geology at Victoria University of Wellington (can be full-time or part-time)
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents or New Zealand
- Applicants must have a GPA of at least 5.00
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- A personal statement outlining how the applicants meets the criteria of this scholarship
- A reference requested via the online application
A panel comprising of the Head of School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences, or their nominee, a relevant academic in Geophysics, or their nominee, and representatives from OG Oil and Gas/ New Zealand Oil and Gas.
- Short-listed applicants may be required to attend an interview
- OGOG/NZOG may assist recipients in finding summer vacation work within the oil and gas industry, should the right conditions prevail.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being enrolled in a full-year programme within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held with any other award or grant as long as a) the terms of that award or grant permit and b) the Victoria University of Wellington is informed and approves. It is the responsibility of the recipient to declare to the Scholarships Office all other grant, award or scholarship funding received while in payment for this Scholarship.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.