Nga Hoe a Kupe Pathfinder Scholarship
These scholarships will be awarded based on excellence both academic and non-academic, allowing nominees to realise their ambition to undertake university study.
These scholarships have been established to remove the financial barrier of entry into tertiary study for academically able students from the Wellington region.
Nominees must currently be in Year 13 and from one of the following 7 Schools:
- Wainuiomata High School
- Aotea College, Porirua
- Bishop Viard College, Porirua
- Mana College, Porirua
- Porirua College, Cannon's Creek
- Naenae College, Avalon
- Taita College, Taita
One scholarship will be offered to each school annually (total of seven per annum).
The Principal of each school will take into account:
- Academic ability
- Non-academic factors including:
- Leadership (which may include for example, Maori or Pasifika development)
- Community involvement
- Contributions to cultural and or sporting activities
- Alignment with the values of the school
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at Wainuiomata High School, Aotea College, Bishop Viard College, Porirua College, Naenae College or Taita College in Year 13.
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or have NZ permanent resident status.
- Applicants must be intending to enrol in full-time undergraduate study at Victoria University the following year.
Students will be nominated by their school each year. There is no application process.
The total value of this scholarship is $7000 per annum. The scholarships office will work with nominees to determine the most appropriate disbursement of funds, dependent on individual circumstances. Payments may include contributions to fees, living costs, contribution to Victoria Hall accommodation or a combination of these options.
If required, Principals may request additional material from prospective nominees including, references or personal statements that allow a full and robust decision.
These scholarships cannot be held in conjunction with another Victoria University funded scholarship but may be held in conjunction with external scholarships where the criteria allow.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.