Latin American Academic Achievement Scholarship
The purpose of the Latin American Academic Achievement Scholarship is to encourage high-achieving, well rounded Latin American international students to Victoria University of Wellington and to support them in their studies.
Applicants must be enrolling in a full time undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Victoria University of Wellington. PhD, Pre-degree, Study Abroad and Exchange students are not eligible for this award.
This award will apply only to new students who have not previously been enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington. An exception will be made for students who have previously completed a pre-degree course (EPP or Foundation) at Victoria University of Wellington.
Students must have met the English Language Requirements for study at Victoria University of Wellington as below. Please note that certain programmes may have different English language requirements - see www.victoria.ac.nz/international for more information.
- IELTS overall band of 6 with no subscore below 5.5
- TOEFL 80 on the internet-based test
- A minimum of three ratings of 4 and one rating of 3 in the Victoria University English Proficiency Programme test
- Pearson Test of English: A score of 58 (with a Communicative score of no less than 50)
- IELTS overall band of 6.5 with no subscore below 6
- TOEFL 90 on the internet-based test with at least 20 in writing
- A minimum of two ratings of 5 and two ratings of 4 in the Victoria University English Proficiency Programme test
- Pearson Test of English: A score of 65 (with a ‘Communicative’ score of no less than 58)
- Applicants must be enrolling in a full time undergraduate or postgraduate degree (Masters level) at Victoria University of Wellington
- Applicants must be new students who have not previously been enrolled at Victoria University of Wellington
- Applicants must have met the English Language Requirements for study at Victoria University of Wellington (as above)
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
- Applicants must complete the financial section of the online application.
- A personal statement highlighting your involvement in extra-curricular activities, interest in internationalisation, motivations and future goals (no more than 500 words)
A scholarships panel will include the Director, Victoria International, International Marketing Manager, Victoria International and the Business Support Manager, Victoria International (or nominees).
Recipients will be chosen based on a mix of their academic strength, their extra-curricular involvement and their motivations.
Applicants should be willing to act as brand ambassadors for Victoria and to assist with promoting Victoria to the Latin American market while they are studying.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
- Students agree to take part in up to five marketing activities per year to promote Victoria to the Latin American market.
- Payment will be made towards fees directly by the Victoria Scholarships Office.
- Students who withdraw from their studies at Victoria within one calendar year of receiving their award will be required to reimburse the scholarship funds (except where they have successfully completed their postgraduate or undergraduate degree). Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Students must reach Victoria University of Wellington Academic Requirements for Admissions and have received an Offer of Study