Forest & Bird Undergraduate Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide a valuable learning experience for a school leaver who is enrolled onto a Bachelor’s degree programme in Ecology and Biodiversity within the School of Biological Sciences. This Scholarship will be awarded competitively on the basis of academic merit and other criteria. The scholarship will be awarded at $5,000 for the first year of study and is valued at $15,000 over three years of study.
Victoria University of Wellington is committed to fostering a community of learning that represents New Zealand’s diverse society. With the generous support of Forest & Bird, we are delighted to offer this prestigious scholarship and valuable learning experience for one of our students. Together, we acknowledge the value of the future academic achievements and contributions that these scholarship recipients will make, both to the University and to the wider community. The successful candidate will undertake their undergraduate studies in Ecology and Biodiversity, in conjunction with the Centre for Biodiversity and Restoration Ecology.
* Students will need to have their NCEA Level 2 Certificate endorsed with Merit, or an equivalent level of achievement in an alternative qualification (e.g. IB or CIE). * This scholarship is only available to domestic fee paying students * Students who have/have had an association with Forest & Bird (or Forest & Bird’s kid club KCC, or one of our Youth Networks) are encouraged to apply but this is not a formal requirement * The candidate will be a good scientific communicator and will support the University’s strategic aim of engaging with various stakeholders from our communities * Recipients must maintain a B+ average to maintain this scholarship over the full tenure
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
Applications will be assessed by a Forest and Bird representative, a School of Biological Science representative and a representative from Victoria University Student Recruitment.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by the end of March.
The scholarship is valued at $5,000 per year over three years (total value $15,000) subject to academic progress. The scholarship may be paid toward tuition fees or toward the cost of accommodation. If the recipient does not owe tuition or accommodation fees to Victoria University during the first year, the University may distribute the first year’s scholarship funds to the recipient for his/her general living and study expenses. * The beneficiary will join as a member of Forest and Bird and have an active association with the local Forest & Bird branch (either Wellington or in their home town) * The beneficiary will be an advocate of the work of Forest and Bird and will be required to attend the Forest & Bird Conference and Annual General Meeting held in Wellington, and may be asked to present at these events * The beneficiary will make themselves available for 1-2 of Forest & Bird’s regional hui’s or ‘Gatherings’. Forest & Bird run 2 Gatherings a year at the weekend. These meetings/presentations bring together Branch Committee members, and are hosted in both the South Island and the North Island. Travel costs will be provided by Forest & Bird. * The beneficiary will be available on an ad hoc basis to produce articles or to be interviewed for the Forest & Bird magazine, this will be done with the support of the Forest & Bird Marketing and Communications team. * The beneficiary will write a letter of gratitude to Forest & Bird, to thank them for the scholarship, within four weeks of the scholarship being awarded. * The beneficiary will be expected to join and given time, participate in one of Forest & Bird’s Youth Networks.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.