Erasmus Scholarship - VUW
To encourage the study of classical languages at Victoria University of Wellington.
This Scholarship is awarded to outstanding students who intend to complete the requirements for the BA with a major in Greek or Latin. Applications may come from school leavers who will enter the University, or from university students who have already undertaken some study of Greek or Latin. School leavers should submit a letter expressing their interest in studying Greek or Latin and the results of their NCEA Level 3 examination - or their results in the appropriate Scholarship examination - in the year prior to the award. It is not a requirement that an applicant has studied Latin before attending University, although it is an advantage in applying for the Scholarship, so long as the applicant intends to major in Greek or Latin at University. University applicants must have completed one year's study (at any level) in Greek or Latin; they should submit a letter indicating that they are currently majors in Greek or Latin, or expressing their intention to major in Greek or Latin, and an account of their marks in either, or both, of these languages.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
The scholar will be required to take a BA Degree as a full-time student in the Victoria University of Wellington and to complete the subject requirements for that degree in either Latin or Greek or preferably both normally within three years of initial enrollment. A candidate to whom the award of the Scholarship is made shall not hold any tied Scholarship at any time during the tenure of the Scholarship.
Offers of the Scholarship to school leavers will not be made until January. In the case of GREE 215 or LATI 213 students, offers will be made in July. Recipients will be asked to write a letter of appreciation which will be forwarded appropriately.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.