Ballinger Rongotai Scholarships
This scholarship is offered to students from Rongotai College to encourage them to study at Victoria University in the areas of science, mathematics and engineering.
The Ballinger Rongotai Scholarships were established by Mr T J A Ballinger, through the Ballinger Scholarship Trust. The Scholarships are funded through an endowment from the Ballinger Scholarship Trust to the Victoria University Foundation.
These scholarships are offered to students from Rongotai College who will be enrolling to study at Victoria University, majoring in science, mathematics or engineering. The Scholarship will be awarded primarily on the basis of academic merit although factors such as character, leadership, community involvement and financial circumstances may also be taken into account.
Each year a first year student will be selected to receive a Scholarship for up to 4 years or longer at the discretion of the selection panel, providing at least an average B+ grade (approximately a 6 grade point average) is maintained.
- Applicants must be current Rongotai College Year 13 students.
- Applicants must be intending on enrolling at Victoria University of Wellington majoring in science, mathematics or engineering in the following year.
Applications are available from the Rongotai College website.
Scholarship specific documentation
A shortlist of eligible applicants will be drawn up by the Principal of Rongotai College (or nominee) on the basis of their academic merit and the quality of their one page personal statement. The successful candidate will be chosen by a selection panel consisting of a representative of the Ballinger family and the Principal of Rongotai College.
Recipients will be required to write thank you letters on receiving the Scholarship and provide an end of year progress report for each year that the Scholarship is held, which will be forwarded to a representative of the Ballinger family but the Victoria University Foundation.
Regulations and conditions
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year programme (full-time will be at the level of points considered by Studylink as full-time) within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.