The Modern Letters Creative Nonfiction Prize
No application required
This prize is awarded to a student who has just completed a Masters in Creative Writing at Victoria University.
This prize is funded by the International Institute of Modern Letters via the Victoria Foundation and has been established to allow a creative nonfiction writer of excellent potential to focus full-time on the completion of a manuscript.
Eligibility and criteria
- This prize is awarded to a student who has just completed a Masters in Creative Writing at Victoria University.
- It will be awarded to a student who, through their folio of work, demonstrates that they have excellent potential as a creative nonfiction writer and would benefit greatly from the opportunity afforded by the prize of focusing full-time on completion of a manuscript
- The student will not necessarily be the best writer of creative nonfiction on the course.
- The Modern Letters Prize in Fiction will be awarded at the end of the Masters in Creative Writing course to enable a student to complete a manuscript for publication.
- The recipient will be chosen in early December each year.
- The decision will be based on the excellence and potential of the writer's MA creative nonfiction folio.
- Also considered will be the degree of benefit from the opportunity afforded by the prize of focusing full-time on completion of a manuscript.
The recipient will be chosen by the Director and the MA creative nonfiction workshop convenor of the IIML, and may take into account the views of external MA examiners.
The recipient will be asked to write a letter of thanks to the donors upon being awarded this prize. The recipient will be asked to write a letter to the IIML detailing how they have used the funding by 20 December of the following year.