Awards for research excellence
Our outstanding staff have received recognition through prestigious national and international awards.
Accolades span many subjects and activities and reflect the research, teaching and public engagement that is at the heart of our success.
Recent award recipients
These are a small selection of the research honours received in the last year:
- World-renowned geologist Professor Colin Wilson was awarded the Rutherford Medal, the highest honour presented by Royal Society Te Apārangi in its annual Research Honours, for his research into supervolcanoes and the hazards they create.
- Professor Peter Tyler from Victoria’s Ferrier Research Institute and Emeritus Professor Laurie Bauer were also recognised in the Royal Society’s 2017 Research Honours—Professor Tyler for his revolutionary drug design technology and Emeritus Professor Bauer for his innovative research in descriptive linguistics.
- Professor Richard Furneaux, Director of Victoria’s Ferrier Research Institute, won the BNZ Supreme Award in the 2017 KiwiNet Research Commercialisation Awards.
- Dr Carwyn Jones from the Faculty of Law was recognised for his contribution to the field of law and society by receiving two prizes from the Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand.
- Professor Evan Berman received a Distinguished Research Award for his work on capacity for performance management from the Philippine Society for Public Administration (PSPA).
- Dr Rebecca Priestley received the Prime Minister’s Science Communication Prize.
We invite organisations, businesses, research institutes and tertiary organisations to become part of our future success and work with our renowned academics.