The Faculty of Health provides innovation in health teaching and research, with the aim of improving the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities.
There are opportunities to undertake research in a range of health-related areas, under expert supervision from researchers of national and international standing. Research students can also take advantage of Victoria’s close relationships with and proximity to many government health agencies and services, including primary health services and local district health boards.
We take a multidisciplinary approach to health services research, with a strong emphasis on promoting wellness and reducing inequalities in health, and improving the effectiveness and efficiency of health services. Areas of research focus include:
- ageing well
- community healthcare policy and services
- disability policy and services
- health economics
- health management
- health policy and health services
- health quality and safety
- integrated care
- Māori health
- mental health
- Pacific health
- primary healthcare
- youth health and wellbeing
Nursing, midwifery and health
- end-of-life care
- ethical and legal aspects of healthcare and health information
- healthcare practices and service provision for diverse populations
- healthcare workforce—education and leadership
- midwifery and normal birth research
- professional nursing values and practice
- public health, immunology and cancer
- safe patient care
- sociocultural aspects of diagnosis
The Faculty of Health offers a PhD and three research Master’s degrees.
Research across disciplines
The Faculty teaches postgraduate health in the broad subject areas of Health Care, Midwifery and Nursing. However, Victoria encourages innovation by thinking beyond traditional subject boundaries. You can take an interdisciplinary approach to your research—combining ideas or methods from other subjects within the Faculty or collaborating with another Victoria University school outside the Faculty.
The Faculty is home to two specialised research centres. The centres provide opportunities for research students to work with institutions of national standing.
Explore postgraduate subjects
Discover Victoria’s wide range of specialist subjects for postgraduates. Find the qualification that’s right for you to advance your knowledge and expertise.