How to enter
The entry deadline for the 2018 National Schools Poetry Award is 2 July. The winner and finalists will be announced on National Poetry Day, 24 August.
Entry packs, including hard copy entry forms, are sent to all eligible schools by March in each year the Award is held. If your school has not received an Awards entry pack from us by March and would like to be added to the mailing list, please contact the IIML.
The Award is free to enter. Please read the following rules carefully before submitting your poem. Entries that do not comply with the rules will not be considered.
- Entrants must be Year 12 or 13 students currently enrolled in a New Zealand secondary school, or verified home-schooling equivalent.
- Only one poem per student may be submitted.
- The poem may be on any subject. It must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant and must not have been submitted for other publications or competitions.
- The poem should be no longer than 30 lines, and in printed or typewritten form. Handwritten entries will not be read.
- Click on the 'Enter Online Here' button at the top of this page, or go to www.schoolspoetryaward.co.nz, fill in the online entry form and upload your poem.
- OR post the form, along with your poem, to the Schools Poetry Award postal address below. Please allow enough time for your entry to arrive by the deadline.
- All posted entries must be accompanied by an official entry form (original or photocopy). Additional entry forms can be downloaded above.
- Posted entries must not be stapled.
- The writer’s name should only appear on the entry form – not on the poem itself.
- Entries must be received by midnight on the deadline date.
- Copyright remains with the individual writers. The International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML) reserves the right to publish the prize-winning entries without further payment.
- The winner and shortlisted poets will be announced on National Poetry Day Friday 24 August 2018.
Entry deadline: 2 July 2018
Post your entry to:
National Schools Poetry Award
IIML, Victoria University
PO Box 600
For more information and entry forms, email email@example.com or telephone: +64-4-463 6854.