Public users│Ākonga iwi whānui
Members of the public are very welcome at the Language Learning Centre at Victoria University.
Teaching yourself a language?
Victoria University of Wellington is the capital’s best place to be if you want to study a range of languages and the Language Learning Centre is a top spot for resources to help you study them! We have a huge range of resources for more than 80 different languages and dialects including course books, self-study texts, readers, films on DVD, magazines and dictionaries.
Members of the public are very welcome at the Language Learning Centre. Just ask one of our friendly staff members for more information.
Why come to the Language Learning Centre?
The LLC is a self-study centre. In other words, we don’t offer language courses, but we do offer a massive range of resources for teaching yourself. For example:
- Read, write, listen and speak using our books, software and headsets.
- Browse and borrow from one of NZ’s most extensive collections of language learning materials, including print and multimedia—even board games!
- Get online with Victoria’s free guest WIFI.
- Book one of our rooms for group activities.
- Watch foreign movies alone or in a group.
- Ask our helpful staff any language-related question.
- Get advice on ways to learn languages better.
- Mix with polyglots and become one yourself.
If you know how to learn a language, or just need a few pointers, you’ll find the resources at Victoria University’s Language Learning Centre a great help.
How much does it cost?
The above services are available to the general public for a fee of $20 for one month, $30 for three months, or $50 for six months.
How do I become a public user?
- Fill in and sign a registration form pdf333KB
You can either come to the LLC in person and ask for a paper copy, print one out at home and bring it to us, or save a copy of the file, fill in the digital version and email it to email@example.com as an attachment.
- Make payment through Victoria's secure online payment portal for your chosen membership period:1 month, 3 months, or 6 months.
- Get a membership card at the LLC counter (Level 0, von Zedlitz Building, 28 Kelburn Parade, Wellington) and start learning languages!
Please note: If you sign up remotely, you will need to let us know when you're planning to visit the LLC in person to get your membership card.
When should I come?
We welcome Public Users to use the Centre’s resources from 8.45am to 1pm every Monday to Friday. Come study early in the day whilst your mind is fresh!
Want to take it further?
Victoria University offers courses in many languages including Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Māori, New Zealand Sign Language, Samoan and Spanish. Click here to find out more.
Victoria University Continuing Education also offers short courses in a number of different languages.