Dr Kathryn Sutherland
Senior Lecturer, Centre for Academic Development
Kathryn recently returned to CAD after nearly six years as Associate Dean (Students, Learning & Teaching) in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. She coordinates the Victoria Early Career Academic Programme (VECAP), which is designed to support early career academics with establishing their academic careers, building supportive peer and mentoring networks, and developing their teaching and research. Kathryn is also leading a research project, with students as partners, on civic engagement initiatives at Victoria University of Wellington, and is course coordinator for FHSS302: BA Internship. Kathryn's research mainly focuses on the experiences of and support for early career academic staff, and she has received several awards for both her research and teaching.
Grants and Awards
- 2017: Learning and Teaching Research Fund: “Learning from early adopters: Sustainable change towards high-impact pedagogies” ($7000)
- 2017: OLT National Teaching Fellowship project, external evaluator and international advisory team member: ”Making Connections: Future-proofing the generalist Bachelor of Arts”. (AUD$5000)
- 2014: Learning & Teaching Development Fund Research Grant: “Developing the graduate attributes and employability skills of BA students through internship placements” ($20,000)
- 2012: Learning & Teaching Development Fund Grant: “Internships in the Bachelor of Arts” ($20,000)
- 2011: Ako Aotearoa National Project Fund Research Grant: “Success in Academia” ($122,244)
- 2010: HERDSA Conference Creative Presentation Award (with Linda Bowden)
- 2010: University Research Fund Grant: “Developing Scholarly Habits” ($17,000)
- 2010: Ako Aotearoa Central Hub Research Grant: “Developing Scholarly Habits” ($2471)
Sutherland, K. (2017, in press). Early career academics in New Zealand: Challenges and prospects in comparative perspective. Cham: Springer. ISBN: Print 978-3-319-61829-6. http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319618296
Sutherland, K. (2017). Constructions of success in academia: An early career perspective. Studies in Higher Education, 42(4), 743-759. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2015.1072150
Harvey, M. & Sutherland, K.A. (2017). (Eds.). Quality learning and teaching with sessional teachers: Systematising good practice for academic development. International Journal for Academic Development, 22 (1).
Sutherland, K. (2016). Turning 20: learning from academic development’s past as we look to the future. International Journal for Academic Development, 20(2), 91-93.
Sutherland, K. & Grant, B. (2016). Researching academic development. Chapter 12, pp. 187-206 in Advancing practice in academic development, edited by David Baume and Celia Popovic. London and New York: Routledge.
Sutherland, K. A. (2016). (Ed.). Twentieth Anniversary Issue. International Journal for Academic Development, 21 (2).
Sutherland, K. (2015). Language. A poem published in Teaching and Learning Inquiry: The ISSOTL Journal, 3(2), 109-110.
Sutherland, K. (2015). Precarious but connected: the roles and identities of academic developers. Editorial. International Journal for Academic Development, 20 (3), 209-211
Sutherland, K. & Holmes, T. (2015). Deconstructive misalignment: Reflections on method and theory in academic development. The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning/La revue canadienne sur l'avancement des connaissances en enseignement et en apprentissage, 6(2), Article 11.
Sutherland, K. (2015). ‘Academia is losing its appeal’ and ‘On the success treadmill’. Two poems in the anthology, Teaching as a human experience: An anthology of contemporary poems. Eds, K. Head and P. Blessinger. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.