Orientation and enrolment
During International Orientation, you'll complete enrolment and get your student ID card. There are compulsory and optional activities to take part in.
International Orientation is your introduction to life at Victoria. It takes two days to complete, including finalising enrolment in your chosen courses.
International Orientation is a compulsory event run by Victoria International for all new international students.
At orientation you’ll get all the information you need to complete your enrolment. It will also:
- prepare you for academic study—including getting set up for study
- familiarise you with Wellington and New Zealand
- help you adjust to the cultural differences you may experience living here.
It’s different from New Students’ Orientation, which is held the week after International Orientation.
You’ll need to keep at least two days free for the compulsory parts of orientation and enrolment.
During orientation you’ll complete your enrolment and be told about the procedures and processes for your programme of study by the Admissions team, your faculty and Enrolments team.
International Orientation also includes:
- presentations about our campuses, life in New Zealand and our services for students
- campus tours
- a lunchtime expo of the key providers of services to international students
- opportunities to meet other students, including a free lunch and a welcome party
- activities to help you feel connected to the University community, including a Pōwhiri (Māori welcome at the University Marae) and tours around Wellington with current students.
When it happens
You’ll be given the date of your International Orientation in your Offer of Place letter.
International Orientation begins:
- Trimester One—two weeks before classes start
- Trimester Two—one week before classes start
- Trimester Three—one week before classes start.
What you need to bring
You’ll need to bring:
- your passport
- any documents your Offer of Place asked you to submit
- a copy of your insurance policy (in English) if you’re planning to seek approval for a policy other than Studentsafe-University.
If you can’t attend
Contact Victoria International as soon as possible, so we can book you an alternative orientation session.