Most international students aren’t eligible for publicly funded healthcare—but Studentsafe–University insurance should cover your medical expenses.

What you’re eligible for

Unless you’re on a New Zealand Aid Programme Scholarship, your treatment is only covered by the public health system if:

If you’re on Studentsafe–University, your health insurance covers you for your medical expenses, including some dental and optical costs.

Getting medical help

During business hours

You can make an appointment to see a doctor or a nurse at Student Health during usual business hours (9am–5pm), Monday to Friday.

The cost of your appointment is covered by your insurance—if you’re on Studentsafe–University, we’ll invoice your insurer directly. If you have another type of insurance, you may have to pay up front and arrange a claim with your insurer later.

After hours

If you need to see a doctor outside of business hours, you can go to:

Wellington Accident & Urgent Medical Centre 
17 Adelaide Road, Newtown
Phone: +64-4-384 4944

They’re open from 8am to 11pm. You don’t need to make an appointment before you go.

You may need to pay up front—keep all your receipts and talk to the Victoria International insurance adviser about making an insurance claim.

In an emergency

Call 111 for an ambulance. Ambulances in Wellington are free.

Medical prescriptions

You can take a prescription to any pharmacy in town.

If you’re on regular medication and want to be sent it from your home country, there are rules you need to follow.