Apply for a visa

This information applies to new international students who have received an Offer of Place from Victoria University of Wellington.

If you’re a returning student and need to renew your student visa, see the information in our Current students section.

Applying from overseas

  1. Complete the Student Visa Application form on the INZ website , including all required supporting documents.
  2. Follow INZ’s instruction for the whole process, e.g. provide additional documents if required, send your passport to the advised address.

Different supporting documents are required depending on where you’re applying from, but you’ll usually need at least:

  • a passport that is valid for at least three months past the end of your intended stay
  • a copy of your Offer of Place letter from Victoria University
  • evidence that you have the funds to support yourself while you’re studying
  • proof of how you’ll return home when your studies are complete (like copies of airline tickets or proof of funds to buy them).

You can find full details on what you must supply on the INZ website.

Applying from within New Zealand

You can apply for a student visa through Victoria International if you:

hold a current student visa from other institutions and are already in Wellington at the time of application

Immigration New Zealand can refuse applications submitted on campus and may ask you to resubmit your application directly to INZ via the Immigration Online.

Conditions of your visa

You must follow the conditions of your student visa while you’re studying in New Zealand. These include:

  • attending classes
  • making good academic progress
  • not breaking the law
  • holding approved insurance from the date of your enrolment until your visa expires (unless you’re a PhD student or part of the New Zealand Aid Programme).

If you break the conditions of your visa, you could be told to leave New Zealand and have trouble applying for other visas in the future.

Working while you study

Most full-time international students can work part time while studying. Take a look at the Immigration New Zealand Study + Work website to learn about work rules for international students and your working rights.

Changing your visa status

If you are granted a Resident Visa or Permanent Resident Visa during your studies, it is your responsibility to let Victoria International know immediately about this.

Changing to a resident class visa has implications for your status as an international student and may affect your eligibility for insurance.

If you are insured with Studentsafe Inbound University insurance through Victoria, your cover will automatically expire 21 days after your Resident or Permanent Resident visa has been issued and you can no longer renew this insurance.