Studentsafe–University insurance

Our Studentsafe Inbound University policy provides comprehensive cover for healthcare, travel, personal property, personal liability and loss of deposits.

What it costs

You can choose to pay for it either:

2019 premiums

  • Single student annual premium $620
  • One Trimester Study Abroad or exchange student $310
  • English Proficiency Programme student $207

If your family is coming with you to New Zealand, find out what cover your family will need.

You’re covered for

  • Personal property to a maximum of $2,500 per item.
    • If you’re bringing things worth more, please complete the Specification of personal property application form and send it back to Victoria international insurance advisor to get these items covered for an additional premium.
    • If you choose not to pay the extra premium, items worth more than $2,500 will still be covered, but only up to $2,500.
  • Travel to New Zealand, even before you pay for your insurance and enrol.
  • Free medical care at the University medical centre for conditions covered by the policy.
  • If you’re a full-time student and you go home for the holidays between study years, you’re covered for 90 days of medical expenses and loss of deposits while you are in your home country.
  • Returning and full-year students get 31 days’ free travel insurance for travel to Australia, Bali, Lombok and the Islands of the South Pacific during the period of insurance or while travelling to and from New Zealand. All other students are entitled to 16 days’ travel insurance to these countries.
  • Prescribed medication, as long as it’s listed in the New Zealand Pharmaceutical Schedule.

You’re not covered for

  • Pre-existing medical conditions. However, in certain circumstances cover may be considered. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you can apply to have it considered any time by completing a Medical Risk Assessment form.
  • Contraception appointments and prescriptions.
  • Pregnancy, childbirth and abortion.
  • Medical check-ups required to get your visa.
  • Car insurance.

Full details of what’s covered are in the policy, visit the Studentsafe website, or contact the insurance adviser for advice.

Note: If you change from one type of policy to another (e.g. from Studentsafe to Explorersafe or Workersafe) and your health changed during the period of the former policy, you need to check with Allianz whether you will remain covered when changing to the new policy.

Get cover

If you’re under 60 and haven’t contacted us about other insurance, you’ll be signed up automatically by accepting your Offer of Place—you don’t have to fill in an application form.

Your cover will start 31 days before classes start so you’re covered for your journey to New Zealand, but you don’t have to pay until you get here and enrol. (If you want to, you can choose to pay for your insurance online at the same time you pay your fees).

Your insurance reference number will be your student ID number.

Period of cover

Immigration New Zealand requires fee-paying international students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while they are studying in New Zealand. Your insurance needs to start from the time you travel to New Zealand to study—or, if you’re already here, from the time you begin your study or get your student visa.

If you’re studying:

  • for a short course, your insurance needs to cover you until the end of your course
  • for Student Aboard and Exchange (one trimester), you’ll be charged for 6 months of insurance at a time
  • a full degree starting in Trimester One, you’ll be charged for 12 months of insurance at a time
  • a full degree starting in Trimesters Two or Three, you’ll be charged up until February of the following year. After that, you’ll be charged for a full year of insurance at the beginning of each academic year
  • for a Masters by Thesis, you’ll be charged for 12 months’ insurance at a time
  • towards a PhD, you’ll be charged from the date you enrol until 31 December of that year. After that, you’ll be charged for a full year of insurance at the beginning of each academic year.

You must have continuous insurance for as long as you’re studying here, even if you travel home during the holidays—if you have a break in your insurance policy, you won’t be covered for any medical conditions you developed while you were previously covered. Find out what you need to do to renew your insurance.

Students with Resident Visas

If you are granted a Resident Visa or Permanent Resident Visa during your studies, it is your responsibility to let Victoria International know immediately about this. Changing to a resident class visa has some implications for your status as an international student and may affect your eligibility for insurance.

If you are insured with Studentsafe Inbound University insurance through Victoria, your cover for medical claims within New Zealand (section 1 in the full policy wording 2017) will automatically expire 21 days after your Resident or Permanent Resident visa has been issued. This is because as a Resident or Permanent Resident you are eligible for publicly funded healthcare in New Zealand.

Your cover for all non-medical claims remains until your current policy period expires but you will no longer be able to renew this insurance.

For outgoing exchange students

If you are an international student and going on an exchange programme you will be still charged Studentsafe Inbound policy fees.

  • We recommend you don’t cancel your Studentsafe policy while away due to continuity implication. If you cancel your policy, your policy will lapse and will therefore affect the continuity of your policy. You may be subject to a new medical assessment when you return or re-enrol to your programme. Othwise, any medical conditions you have been receiving treatment for under your original policy or during the break, would be considered pre-existing medical conditions and may no longer be covered.
  • You also need to purchase additional health and travel insurance for the length of your exchange programme and duration of your trip.
  • Studentsafe Outbound is available to students going on exchange.
  • Please check and ensure the insurance comply with your host university’s insurance requirements.

For more information or to purchase the policy, visit Studentsafe Outbound policy.