Get insurance

All international students must have health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.

The New Zealand government’s Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 requires all international students to have appropriate health and travel insurance during their period of study.

Our recommended insurance

Studentsafe Inbound University is our recommended insurance. It’s comprehensive insurance designed and supported by all the universities in New Zealand. It’s provided by Allianz.

You don’t have to do anything to apply for Studentsafe Inbound University. If you don’t have other approved insurance and you’re under 60, you’ll be covered automatically when you accept your Offer. If you’re bringing your family with you to New Zealand, you can get a family insurance.

You can choose to pay for it either before you arrive when you pay your fees, or after you get to New Zealand at international orientation and enrolment.

You’ll be covered for your travel to New Zealand either way.

You are automatically registered under the Studentsafe Inbound plan when you accept your offer of admission. Your policy is activated when enrolment has been completed. Students do not need to fill application form for the Studentsafe Inbound plan.

For fee paying international students, insurance is a condition of your visa—if your policy lapses while you’re here, any visa applications you make in the future might not be approved. Your insurance cover is automatically renewed for one year for full-degree students and one trimester for short-course students. Find out more on how to renew your insurance.

Other acceptable New Zealand insurance policies

If you don’t want to use Studentsafe–University, you can choose:

  • Southern Cross Student Individual
  • Uni-Care NZ Student Plan
  • Orbit Protect Prime.

If you choose one of these policies instead of Studentsafe Inbound University, you’ll need to:

  • Organise your cover before you arrive in New Zealand.
  • Provide a copy of your policy certificate before international orientation.
  • Sign a waiver to say you’ll take responsibility for your insurance and keep it up to date.

If you have a different insurance policy

Your insurance policy can only be accepted if it meets the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.

If you already have overseas insurance, you’ll need to:

The policy will then be sent to our independent assessors for review. If your policy is approved, you’ll need to provide a copy of the policy certificate and complete a waiver form before course start. If your policy is not approved, you’ll need to purchase Studentsafe Inbound University insurance or another approved insurance before you can enrol.

Your alternative compliant insurance policy must cover you from the date you enrol until the day your student visa expires or until you depart New Zealand, whichever comes first.

Changing your visa status

If you are granted a resident visa or permanent resident visa during your studies, you must let Victoria International know immediately.

Changing to a resident visa has implications for your status as an international student and may affect your eligibility for insurance.

If you are insured with Studentsafe Inbound University insurance through Victoria University of Wellington, your cover for medical claims within New Zealand will automatically expire 21 days after your resident or permanent resident visa has been issued. This is because as a resident or permanent resident you are eligible for publicly funded healthcare in New Zealand.

Your cover for all non-medical claims remains until your current policy period expires, but you will no longer be able to renew this insurance policy.