How to pay your fees

Find out how to pay your fees and what steps you need to complete if you have a scholarship or student loan.

The fees you pay depend on what you’re studying. Your Offer of Place letter will tell you exactly what you need to pay.

On this page you can find information about:

When to pay your fees

We recommend that you pay your fees at least three months before courses start—you need evidence that you have paid your fees (or have funding for them, like a scholarship or loan) to get your visa, and visas can take up to six weeks to process.

It usually takes between 4-6 business days for your payment to be received. When your payment is received, Victoria International will send you a ‘Summary of Deposit’ letter to the email you provided on your application. You can use this letter as proof that you have paid your fees for your visa application. If you have applied through an agent, they will also receive the Summary of Deposit letter.

How to pay your fees

There are many ways to pay your international student fees at Victoria. Your Offer of Place letter will tell you exactly what you need to pay.

All payments need to include your full name and Victoria University student ID number. You can find your student ID number in your Offer of Place letter—it begins with a ‘C’. If you do not include your name and student ID number, we might not be able to track your payment.

You can pay your tuition fees by:

You have to pay your tuition fees in full unless you get an exemption from the fees coordinator.

Pay by bank transfer

Western Union

Bank transfer through our Western Union Business Solutions payment portal is our preferred payment method. It’s a fast, simple and a reliable way for you to pay.

You can pay from your bank account with a telegraphic transfer.

Five reasons to use Western Union Business Solutions payment portal

  • It’s easy to use and you can make your payment faster.
  • Save money by choosing a telegraphic transfer from your bank. There are no transfer charges from Western Union Business Solutions for this type of payment.
  • You can use your own currency and still be sure that your full payment amount will be made in New Zealand dollars.
  • Once you make the payment, the exchange rate is locked in for 72 hours, making sure that the full amount is paid.
  • You get peace of mind, knowing that your payment will arrive in full, on time, without any extra charges or delays.

How to make your payment

  1. Go to international student payment portal to make your payment.
  2. Enter your student information.
  3. Enter your payment amount in New Zealand dollars.
  4. Select payment method—telegraphic transfer—choose your country and currency*.
  5. Enter the details of the person making the payment and print your bank transfer instructions.
  6. Complete your payment at your local bank branch or with online banking using the printed instructions.

International banking regulations transactions in some currencies are not available. If your currency doesn’t appear as an option, select an alternative currency such as USD$. Need help? email

Telegraphic transfer

If you can’t use Western Union to transfer your money, you can pay by telegraphic transfer. You may need to visit your local bank to do this—make sure you take the authorisation form with you.

Paying in New Zealand dollars

Bank: ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited

Branch: Wellington Commercial Branch, 1 Victoria Street, Wellington 6011

Account Number: 06-0606-0100241-00

Account Name: Victoria University of Wellington


It can take a minimum of 4–6 business working days for your payment to arrive in our university account due to bank processing times. When making a telegraphic transfer, a bank fee may be charged and removed from the payment amount by one or both banks.

Pay by Visa or MasterCard

To pay by credit card, you need to give us your credit card details by phone (+64-4-463 5484) or email

We’ll need your:

  • name
  • student ID number
  • amount to be paid
  • type of credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
  • credit card number
  • expiry date
  • card holder name.

All credit card payments will be converted to New Zealand dollars ($NZ) on the day we receive the payment. Check with your bank that the amount you’re paying isn’t over their transaction limit.

Pay by cheque or bank draft

Cheques or bank drafts can be in $NZ or $US. Make the cheque or bank draft payable to Victoria University of Wellington.

Post your cheque or bank draft to:

Accounts Receivable
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600 
New Zealand

Remember that it may take a few weeks for the cheque or bank draft to reach us—you may want to send it by courier or registered mail.

Pay for insurance with your fees

If you’re buying Studentsafe–University insurance, you can pay for your insurance at the same time you pay your fees.

Scholarships and student loans

If you have a scholarship or a student loan (including US private loans or US Veterans Benefits), you don’t need to pay your international tuition fees—your scholarship or loan provider will do this for you.

Send us a scanned or digital copy of your award or scholarship letter to You’ll also use your award or scholarship letter to prove your funding to Immigration New Zealand when you’re applying for your student visa.

Proof of living expenses for your visa application

You may need to show proof of living expenses for your student visa application.

ANZ Bank allows international students to open bank accounts before they arrive in New Zealand. This is an easy way to deposit money before you arrive in the country. For more information visit the ANZ website

Students from China, India, Philippines and Sri Lanka may also be able to access the Funds Transfer scheme. For more information visit the Immigration New Zealand funds transfer scheme page.

Questions about student visas and proof of living expenses should be directed to Immigration New Zealand.


If you have any questions about paying your international tuition fees, please email