US veterans benefits

Victoria University of Wellington is an eligible school for the administration of US Department of Veterans Affairs funding under the MGIB program.

If you served on US active duty, you may be eligible for education benefits offered by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after 10 September 2001, or individuals discharged with a service connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the US Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your service prior to applying for admission at Victoria University of Wellington.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on US active duty Title 10 orders in the pay grades of E1-E5, 01-02, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the US Department of Defense for education, training and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career. If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.

The US Department of Veterans Affairs will pay eligible student education benefits for pursuit of an approved programme of study.

Victoria International will not act as a guarantor to confirm Veterans Affairs funding tuition and fees to be paid at a later stage.

The amount you receive may not cover your entire tuition fee and it can take 4–8 weeks for funding to arrive from the date of disbursement.

If this is the case, it is your responsibility to contact Student Finance to arrange an agreement and to contact Veterans Affairs directly on the status of your funds.

If the benefits you qualify for are insufficient to meet your expected costs then you may apply for US financial aid under the Direct Loan Program.

Step one—determine if your degree is an approved program

You can check whether your degree is approved by entering the following details:

  • Institution: Victoria University of Wellington
  • Programme type: Institution of Higher Learning
  • Country: New Zealand

If your programme is not yet approved, contact us. The programme approval process may take some time, so apply as early as possible.

Step two—determine if you qualify and how to apply

To apply for Veterans’ education benefits, submit the application form to the US Department of Veterans Affairs. Submit your application and find out about the process of applying.

Step three—provide confirmation to Victoria International

The US Department of Veterans Affairs will issue you with a Certificate of Eligibility. Send a copy to the Financial Administrator at Victoria International to certify your Veterans Affairs funding after you have fully enrolled.

Funding amounts

For 100 per cent eligible students, visit the Post -9/11 GI Bill page of the Veteran Affairs website for details on funding amounts.

Veterans Affairs contact details

Telephone (Outside USA): (001) 716-857-3196 or 716-857-3197
Telephone (Inside USA): 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)
Website: US Department of Veterans Affairs