Apply for Study Abroad

To apply for Victoria’s Study Abroad programme you must pre-select the courses you want to take—and check your home university can credit them to your degree.

To apply for a student exchange through one of our partner universities, contact your university’s international office.

1. Check you meet the entry requirements

You need to have completed at least one year of undergraduate study at a university outside New Zealand (though you can apply before the year is completed), and meet the specific academic and English language entry requirements for your country.

Postgraduate students do not need to be currently enrolled in a degree, but you must have completed an undergraduate degree before beginning your studies at Victoria.

English language requirements

If English isn’t your first language, you’ll also need to include evidence of your English proficiency—(for example, a copy of an IELTS or TOEFL test score that’s less than two years old).

Undergraduate Study Abroad students will need:

  • IELTS overall band of 6.0 with no sub-score below 5.5
  • TOEFL 80 on the internet-based test
  • a minimum of three ratings of 4 and one rating of 3 from our English Proficiency Programme
  • an equivalent, (for example, CAE grade C).

If you’re from:

  • Denmark: you need a grade of 7 in English in the Secondary School Certificate
  • Finland: you need a grade of 8 or higher in English in the Upper Secondary Certificate
  • Germany: you need a grade of 13 in English in the Abitur/Zeugnis
  • Norway: you need a grade of 4 in English in the Vitnemal fra den Videregaende
  • Sweden: you need a grade of 4/VG in English in the Slutbetyg.
If you’re planning to study teaching, you may need to have a minimum IELTS overall band of 7.0 with no sub-score below 7.0.

Postgraduate Study Abroad students will need:

  • IELTS: minimum overall score of 6.5 with no sub-score below 6.0
  • TOEFL: minimum score of 90 for the internet-based test with a minimum of 20 in writing
  • EPP: minimum final scores of 4, 4, 5, 5
  • Cambridge: CAE grade B.

You may be exempt from the English language requirements if you’ve previously studied in an English-speaking country. Make a note of this on your application and our Admissions team will let you know.

2. Choose your courses

You’ll need to choose the courses you want to take at Victoria before you submit your application.

  1. Choose your courses using our course finder.
  2. Make sure the courses you select are offered during your chosen trimester.
  3. Check with your academic adviser at your home university to make sure your chosen courses can be credited to your degree.
  4. After you’ve applied, we’ll check you meet the prerequisites for your chosen courses and pre-approve you for enrolment.

3. Check fees and costs

You don’t need to pay your fees until your application is accepted and you’ve decided you definitely want to come to Victoria (but check with your home university in case they have different arrangements for paying fees). When you apply for your student visa, you’ll need to prove you have enough money to support yourself while you’re here.

Living in Wellington doesn’t have to be expensive, but you do need to make sure you’ve got enough money to live on while you’re here. Our fees and cost calculator can help you work out how much you’ll need to save.

What it costs

You’ll also need medical and travel insurance for the duration of your time in New Zealand—check with your home university. 

4. Make your application

It’s free to apply to become a student at Victoria University.

Documentation you’ll need

To apply, you’ll need:

  • a completed and signed Study Abroad and Exchange application form with at least three courses selected for pre-approval
  • a certified copy of your academic results, including full academic transcripts
  • a certified copy of your passport’s personal details page
  • a certified copy of your IELTS or TOEFL score if English isn’t your first language. The certificate needs to be less than two years old.

If your original documents aren’t in English, you’ll need to supply certified translations as well as the documents.

Where to send your application

Send your application by courier or mail—you can’t email or fax it. We recommend that you use a tracked worldwide courier service.

Courier it to:

Victoria International
Victoria University of Wellington
Level 2, Easterfield Building
Kelburn Campus, Kelburn Parade

Or send it by regular mail to:

Victoria International
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington 6012

Disability support

If you have an impairment or injury that affects your mobility, hearing, speech, vision or concentration, we have help available. Complete an online Service and Support form and include it with your application.

After you’ve applied

We’ll send you an email when we receive your application.

We will let you know by email within a week of receiving your application if it is successful. If you’re accepted to Victoria, we’ll email you or your home university an Offer of Place letter and information about what to do next. Read more about accepting your Offer of Place.

If you haven’t received a confirmation email more than two weeks after couriering your application, or it’s been more than a week since you were notified that your application was received, you can contact us to check where things are at.