London Review of Books Online
This online edition of the London Review of Books is useful for reviews of recently released books.
- The New Zealand Historical Association (NZHA) is the largest and longest standing professional organisation for historians in New Zealand. Membership is not restricted to professional activity, but is open to all who support the aims of the association.
- Professional Historians' Association of New Zealand/Aotearoa (PHANZA) website includes contract and funding information for historians looking for projects and for individuals or organisations that want histories written.
- The National Oral History Association (NOHANZ) aims to foster 'professional standards in oral history, and bringing together those interested in oral history.
- A basic aim of the New Zealand History Teachers' Association is to encourage and promote the teaching of History in New Zealand's schools and colleges.
- The Australian Historical Association is an organisation of historians, academic, professional and other, working in all fields of history.
- The American Historical Association (AHA) was founded in 1884 'for the promotion of historical studies, the collection and preservation of historical documents and artifacts, and the dissemination of historical research'. It is the largest historical society in the United States and serves as the umbrella organization for historians working in every period and geographical area.
- The Organization of American Historians is 'the largest learned society devoted to the study of American history.'
This History Conferences Worldwide site gives a comprehensive list of conferences which is constantly updated.
History programme writing guides
Writing History Essays is a comprehensive guide to essay writing published by the History programme.
The Hist 489 Guide to Writing Essays is specifically designed for students enrolled in the Honours Research Essay course
Libraries and archives
Download Resource Depositories for information and links to Libraries and Archives in Wellington, Britain and United States of America.
- The Institute of Historical Research, part of the University of London's School of Advanced Study, is an important resource and meeting place for scholars from all over the world. 'It contains an open-access library and a common room, publishes works of reference, administers a number of research projects and runs courses and conferences. It offers research fellowships to students nearing the completion of their doctorates, and administers other awards'.
- The Modern European History Research Centre is located within Oxford University's Faculty of Modern History. It was established to sustain and enhance the research activities of scholars working in the field of modern (i.e. post-medieval) history of the continent of Europe.
- The Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies is part of the Australian National University's Institute of Advanced Studies. Priority areas of the School are Southeast Asia, Northeast Asia and the Southwest Pacific. It has nine major disciplinary areas: Anthropology, Archaeology, Economics, History, Human Geography, International Relations, Linguistics, Political Science and Strategic & Defence Studies. Each of these disciplines supports a graduate training programme.
- The Stout Research Centre 'was established ... in 1984 with the generous support of the Stout Trust, to encourage scholarly inquiry into New Zealand society, history and culture, and to provide a focus for the collegial atmosphere and exchange of ideas which enrich the quality of research.'