B.A. (Hons), PhD (VUW)
New Zealand History
19th and 20th Century Scottish History
I am currently working on Charlotte Macdonald's Marsden Funded project Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Settler, creating a profile of the men who comprised the imperial troops who were stationed in New Zealand in the 1860s and examining garrison culture in relation to these men. On the side, I am writing up some of the analysis from the post-doctoral research I carried out at the University of Guelph between 2011 and 2013, tracing individuals from a sample of the 1871 census of Scotland forward to the 1880/1881 censuses of Scotland, England, Canada and the United States.
- Lenihan, R., From Alba to Aotearoa: Profiling New Zealand's Scots Migrants 1840-1920, Otago University Press, 2015.
- Lenihan, R., 'Wanderlust: The Multiple Migrations of New Zealand's Scots, 1840 to 1920' for Lives in Transition: Longitudinal Analysis from Historical Sources , edited by Peter Baskerville and Kris Inwood, McGill Queen's University Press, 2015.
- Patterson, B., Brooking, T., McAloon, J., Lenihan, R. and Bueltmann, T., Unpacking the Kist: Scots in New Zealand , McGill Queen's University Press, 2013.
- Lenihan, R., 'Counting New Zealand’s Scots', in R. McClean, B. Patterson and D. Swan (eds), Counting Stories, Moving Ethnicities: Studies from Aotearoa New Zealand , Waikato, 2012.
- Lenihan, R., '"Jocks'-of-all-trades: Genealogical methods, occupational profiles and New Zealand's Scots, 1840–1920', New Zealand Journal of History , Volume 46, Number 2, October 2012.
- Lenihan, R., 'Migration Patterns of New Zealand’s Scottish Settlers', History Scotland , Volume 11, Number 3, May/June 2011.
- Lenihan, R., '"In habits, in character, in fact … [in]… everything except language… like the Norwegians": New Zealand’s Shetland Migrants', Journal of Irish and Scottish Studies , Volume 4, Number 1, Autumn 2010.
- Lenihan, R., Scottish Immigration to New Zealand from 1840 to 1950 – an introduction with
preliminary findings, TKKA: Graduate and Postgraduate E-Journal, The University of Waikato, New Zealand, 2007.
- Lenihan, R., and Patterson, B. 'New Zealand's Scottish Migrants', Absolutely Positively Genealogy: Proceedings of the 2007 Conference of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists, 1-4 June 2007, Ed. Clare Dawe, Wellington, 2007, pp.122-126.
- 'Good colonisers? The impacts of Irish and Scottish diaspora at home and abroad', review of The Scottish Diaspora, by Tanja Bueltmann, Andrew Hinson and Graeme Morton, and Irish and Scottish encounters with Indigenous Peoples, by Graeme Morton and David A. Wilson, Journal of Irish and Scottish Studies, 2014.
- Review of Scottish Women: A Documentary History, 1780-1914, edited by Breitenbach, Fleming, Kehoe and Orr, New Zealand Journal of History, October 2014.
- Review of Scottish Ethnicity and the Making of New Zealand Society, 1850–1930 by Tanja Bueltmann, International Review of Scottish Studies, 2013.
- 'The Scots, the Irish, and a dismissal of The Ideal Society', Review of Scottishness and Irishness in New Zealand since 1840 by Angela McCarthy, Journal of Irish and Scottish Studies, 2013