Teaching in 2019
- as Course Coordinator and Lecturer
Gender, Australia, WWI, colonialism, race relations
By appointment or call in if the door is open.
- BA (Hons) PhD University of Melbourne
- social history of WW1
- Australian history
- gender history in colonial societies
- rural and environmental histories.
- National and imperial belonging in wartime: The tangled knot of Australians and New Zealanders as British subjects during the Great War’, Australian Journal of Politics and History, vol.63 (1), March 2017, pp.31-44.
- 'Australian and New Zealand Fathers and Sons During the Great War' in Ashley Jackson (ed) The British Empire and the First World War (London, Routledge, 2016).
- 'Feathers for a Wartime Bride' in Annabel Cooper et al (eds) Lives of Colonial Objects (Dunedin, Otago UP, 2015).
- 'Colonial Hunting Cultures' in James Beattie et al (eds) Eco-Cultural Networks and the British Empire: New Perspectives on Environmental History (London, Bloomsbury, 2014).
- 'Aboriginal Women in Australia's Travelling Shows, 1930s-1950s: Shadows and Suggestions', Journal of Women's History, 26 (4) Winter 2014, pp. 37-59.
- Holding on to Home: New Zealand Stories and Objects of the First World War with Kirstie Ross (Te Papa Press, 2014).
- 'More than an Archive of War: Intimacy and Manliness in the Letters of a Great War Soldier to the Woman he Loved, 1915-19', Gender & History, 25 (2), July 2013: 339-354.
- 'New Zealand Hunters in Africa: At the Edges of the Empire of Nature', Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History, 40, 3 (2012), pp. 483-501.
- 'Sarah Liggins' Patchwork Quilt', in Te Hau Nui: The Great Catch, edited by Fiona McKergow and Kerry Taylor (Auckland, Godwit Press, 2011), pp. 236-241.
- 'Diaries and Letters as Testimonies of War', in The First World War: Personal Experiences , edited by Jay Winter (London, Adam Matthew Digital Publications, 2011), pp. 1-16.
- 'A Bird in the Hand: Hunting, Fashion and Colonial Culture', Journal of New Zealand Studies, Special Issue, Communicating Culture in New Zealand (2011), pp. 91-106.
- 'Hunting Histories: Using Third Party Interviews as Sources', Oral History in New Zealand: Journal of the National Oral History Association of New Zealand, 22 (2010), pp. 1-7.
- Hunting: A New Zealand History, Random House, Auckland, 2009.
- 'Rough riding: Aboriginal participation in rodeos and travelling shows to the 1950s' Aboriginal History, vol. 32, 2008, pp. 83-96.
- Director, Stout Research Centre for New Zealand Studies, Victoria University.
- Conference organising committee for International Society of First World War Studies 2018.
- Editorial Board, 1914-1918 Online: International Encyclopedia of the First World War, Freie Universitat, Berlin.
- Board member, Australian Journal of Politics and History.
- Member of Victoria University Council.