Upgrading a Master's to PhD
If you're currently enrolled in a Master's thesis at Victoria, you may be able to upgrade to a PhD.
- be currently enrolled in a Master's thesis (minimum 90 points) at Victoria
- be within 11 months of first enrolment for the Master's degree
- not have submitted the Master's thesis for examination.
Criteria for assessing applications
In order to approve an application to upgrade from Master's to PhD, the School Research Committee must be satisfied that:
- the student has the level of competence required for PhD study (including English language proficiency),
- the student's Master's research can be extended so as to form a viable PhD project,
- adequate supervision is available (the supervisors of the Master’s thesis will not necessarily remain on the PhD supervisory team), and
- adequate resources are available for the student's research.
Date of registration
Once the upgrade has been approved, you are provisionally registered for the PhD from the date of registration for your Master’s degree. You will still have to satisfy the requirements for full registration.